Need help with conventions/grammar

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissaG, Jan 26, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jan 26, 2007

I teach writing during our afterschool program and have been requested to focus on conventions over the next 3 weeks. I need a quick way to cover it all and make it fit for grades 3-6. I would like it to be fun but would like to cover as much as possible in the short time period. Anyone have a good resource book, a unit, anything that will allow the kids to enjoy it while learning. They are not very excited to sit and do worksheets or listen to me the whole time after a full day of school.

Thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2007

Try Rachel Bladon's Improve Your English (Usborne, ISBN 0-7945-0610-0 - it's possible there's a later edition). You'll probably need to order it, but it's engaging and fun and has lots and lots of exercises.

4. logan_morgan

logan_morgan Rookie

Jan 27, 2007

With my 6th graders we do a parts of speech project - got the idea from an online site and adapted it. I divide up the kids into the 8 parts of speech and each small group creates a poster, a cheer, and now they are writing mad libs. They seem to enjoy it and the other day when I asked what an adverb was, at least 60% of them could tell me spontaneously without prompting.