Need help with children's Portfolios Please!:)

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Aug 17, 2013.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

Hi fellow teachers,
    I teach 4 year olds and I was wondering if anyone else does portfolios in their classroom to use for conferences and if so what kind of things do you put in there? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thank you!

Jen

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 17, 2013

In mine I include:
    -A few cutting/scissor skill samples
    -academic assessments (letters, numbers, etc.)
    -self portraits from September & April
    -Name writing samples
    -fine motor assessments (drawing shapes, copying lines, pencil grasp, etc.)

That's all I can think of. I think

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2013

I try to have samples from most items on our progress report which matches our state standards, so there are a lot.

From the top of my head, some of them are, something that shows:

-letter recognition - upper and lowercase
    -knowledge of letter sounds
    -rhyming
    -sorting and matching letters
    -print concepts
    -book handling
    -writing lines
    -writing letters
    -retelling a story
    -recognizing their name
    -writing their name
    -recognizing friend's names or sight words
    -drawing
    -drawing a person
    -relating a story to their own lives
    -predicting what will happen next
    -recognizing 0-20
    -writing 0-10
    -relating quantities to numbers
    -comparing quantities
    -sorting
    -measuring
    -graphs/charts
    -patterning
    -senses
    -life cycles
    -living/non-living
    -habitats
    -pencil grip
    -cutting
    -gross motor skills - hop, jump, skip, bounce a ball, etc.
    -participate in music, dance, etc.
    -can recite some poems or nursery rhymes
    -can sing songs
    -listening skills
    -can carry on a conversation
    -social skills
    -emotional skills

I am sure I am missing quite a few. Hope it helps.

5. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

To add to scmom's great list.....
    *sequencing events (familiar story, nursery rhyme, life cycle)
    *ordering by size
    *counting sets of numbers to 20
    *identification of colors and shapes
    *pictures of students at different centers

I also use art pages (stampers, rollers, etc.) as background pages for portfolio items.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

I have been wondering this as well. Still wondering how to get all of this collated successfully.

7. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

I make a tentative schedule of thematic units for the year. Then make a very, very tentative schedule for work samples. (I create the work samples to coordinate with the themes.) Work Samples are also progressive based on how skills are developed, rate of learning,individual needs, etc. I also created " I Can" statements and rubrics based on my state's standards. The work samples and schedule are a work in progress....then add lots of photos and the portfolios become memory books as well as a record of progress over the year. It's lots of work, but I enjoy making them and the parents love them.

8. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2013

It isn't easy, especially if you don't use a lot of worksheets. To tell you the truth, I never use worksheets except in some cases to get some evidence for the portfolio.

Otherwise, I make stuff up as I go along. For example:

-Have them write 0-10 on adding machine tape for the fun of using something different.
    -Use dot markers to make patterns.
    -Fold paper in sections like a graph for them to sort alphabet, shapes or whatever.
    -Journals for a lot of the retell and comprehension standards.

I made check-off sheets so I can check off skills when I observe and carry around a clipboard with stickers to write some things down.

It is hard to do in 3 hours, 3 times a week!

9. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

I love this thread. Thanks to the original poster.

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 17, 2013

So, checklists are ok? Or are you all keeping a collection of works? For instance are you saving the scissor snips in the original session of cutting or are you marking it on a checklist and saving the "work sample" for a time when the child is cutting out a shape. In my opinion the cutting of a shape is so much different that the initial cutting phase. Please let me know if I have hijacked....I will start my own thread. I was just to excited to see someone talking about what I was working on.

12. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 17, 2013

I do both. Ill have some samples when they first begin 'snipping', then one or two straight and curvy lines, and then cut-out shapes if they're doing that by the end of the year. I like parents to see that progression.

13. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Aug 17, 2013

For Scissors Skills-I do a pre- and a post- . The one I have has four shapes--in the beginning of the year I glue the whole sheet if there are any snips or cuts on the left hand side with month, then divide the paper with a strip down the middle. At the end of the year, I give them another paper with the same four shapes and glue the results on the right hand side of the paper with the month. Then add the title on top. Often, this is the work sample that is the most dramatic as far as progress.

If it's something like counting,I would do three or four different work samples showing progress over the year.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2013

I think some things just don't have obvious work samples. For example, social skills, listening skills, print concepts - things like that. I do checklists for those and maybe some comments I put on the progress report.

I think this is a valuable discussion. It would be interesting to see what different schools assess. Hmmm....I wonder if we could do separate threads for different skill sets and ask for ideas for portfolio samples?

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2013

I also wanted to know if anyone else feels sometimes all I am accomplishing at certain periods is doing assessments to the detriment of everything else?

16. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 18, 2013

Our school uses teaching strategies gold online system for assessment. It's almost impossible to keep up with for 2 classes with 38 students total. I do assessment checklists for almost every small group and most large group activities, plus carrying a clip board around with me to take observations, but I'm still always behind for checkpoints :(

17. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 18, 2013

I fear that maybe how I end up this year Preschool929.....in my old life I had a room of 12 mixed age kids (with some drop ins and what not to stay at twelve each and everyday) and a full day full year program. That was a great size, but gosh it wasn't easy. I was always aware of my standards and tried to snap a pic or jot a note. Three times a year we would do a full stop assessment and parent meetings.

18. wyvern

wyvern Companion

Aug 19, 2013

0929, there are ways to make this work. Being behind on checkpoints is the way it's designed. It's not just you. That curriculum needs to be redesigned. It's inhuman. But, in the meantime, try as much as you can to consolidate your observations. Where I work, I have no time for entering the observations. Its a job requirement to put in 10 a day, but they don't give us the time to accomplish that. I've had to learn to be organized about it. This doesn't mean I've mastered the system, I haven't! But I can be better. It's about time people who have decision making power realize this about this program.

19. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 22, 2013

I too find it almost impossible to take notes or use a checklist all day long! The digital camera has saved me. We take pictures throughout the day. The photos are dated, and I can upload them to Teaching Strategies and the photos help me remember exactly what objective each child was working on at that moment. This way if I get behind, I still have my photo "notes" and I can catch up. A coworker prints out her observations for each child at the end of the year, along with the photos, and this are an end of the year gift to the families.

20. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Aug 22, 2013

That's a great idea! Our program is piloting an IPad program and giving 4 teachers IPads to use only for TSG documentation throughout the day. They said if teachers find it helpful and easier to take instant pictures and observations, then they'll look into getting one for everyone next year. I'm not in the pilot, but I'm interested to see how it works. I don't even feel that I have time throughout the day to type notes on an iPad as I'm teaching

21. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 22, 2013

There is no possible way I could take notes on paper or the computer during class time. I can barely keep up with my 20 little kiddos as it is! lol So I am glad we are not allowed to be on the computer at all while students are present. I just take the photo and on we go, and I can record documentation later and put the photos into a digital portfolio.

22. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2013

I would love to do pictures, but the school won't pay for them to be printed or my ink. What digital portfolio do you use and how do you share it with parent?. And how when do you organize all those pictures?

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

I detest checklists, so I made my own very basic "report card" to use at conferences.
    The portfolios are more of a keep sake at the end of the year. I take photos and add information and what they are making. I add the end project/art to the page so it's all tied together.
    My main focus is behavior, manners, things like that. The kids are going to learn their abc's and numbers, etc, but not if they don't know how to listen, show respect and behave. Those are the "biggies" when I talk with parents.

24. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 23, 2013

My school won't pay for Teaching Strategies Gold, and I too would have to use my own ink for pictures....

Is there a software package that could hold portfolios somehow without such a hefty registration fee?

25. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 23, 2013

Grammy....how is your report card different than a check list? I am interested?

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

It's one page. Codes for each skill are:
    B=Beginning
    M=Mastered
    N=Needs Improvement.
    There is space left for personal comments/observations.

I don't recall all items covered because it's at work, but something like:

Social Skills (I list most important items we cover)

Concepts ( list area covered)

I can't recall the others, but it's very basic, yet covers concerns and most important things they learn.

It's really nice because the parents get a general idea how their child is doing without reading through a checklist.
    I apologize for not having all the info. and I can't recall exactly how it's set up.
    At the bottom of the page I leave room for specific concerns. For example, if I see a child unusually clumsy or a child having a huge problem with sitting still for stories, lunch, etc, that is where I write it down and discuss it with parents. It's really nice and personal.

27. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

When I worked at HS, all staff helped with observation notes. I always tried to write a note or two when I was observing a classroom. Other people see things you never thought about.

28. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 24, 2013

Grammy, is this a sheet you invented or is it a package you purchased? Just wondering.

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2013

I created my own because none of the "checklists" worked for me. They took too much time and didn't cover things that really mattered.
    I used the pages of checklists as examples to choose what I felt pertained to the children in my class.
    A perfect example might be, "Child can hop on one foot." Who cares if a child can hop on one foot? You might say, it lets us know if there are coordination problems. Really? If I haven't noticed any issues before they hop on one foot successfully, I'm not very observant.
    That is just an example.