Need help with CBEST math...

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by rahrah321, Sep 28, 2019.

1. rahrah321

rahrah321 New Member

Sep 28, 2019

Hi. I am struggling to pass the CBEST math section. I have taken it 6 times already. This last time I did worse than the previous time. I have 4 study guide books, have been tutored, and have spent over $1,000 on this test and materials for it. I really thought I was doing great today when I was taking it and was shocked at my score. I passed the reading and writing on the 1st try. I am at risk for losing my teaching job. Anyone have any advice, encouraging words, or know what I can try next before I test again? I am really getting discouraged. Thank-you!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 28, 2019

Welcome to A to Z, rahrah321, and hugs. What is the sum of your scores in reading and essay?

4. rahrah321

rahrah321 New Member

Sep 29, 2019

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 29, 2019

To pass, then, you need to score 39 or better.

Your score reports should break the math section down into domains (for instance, estimation and measurement) and give performance indicators or diagnostics for each. What are you seeing?

6. rahrah321

rahrah321 New Member

Sep 29, 2019

I am doing good on estimation but struggle with computation and numerical operations and graphs.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 30, 2019

Let me note first that one doesn't pass by scoring at x level on each domain of the math section: one passes by scoring well enough overall. In other words, shoring up your strengths can be as helpful toward a passing score as remedying one's weaknesses.

Do you generally do fairly well with multiple choice questions?

Are you generally comfortable adding or subtracting and multiplying or dividing decimals? Percentages? Fractions?

Is there some other area of math that's tested on CBEST that's giving you grief? (Please don't cite an actual specific test question. Test companies can and do monitor these pages.)

8. Sunny Ho

Sunny Ho New Member

Oct 21, 2019

I passed the Math at the first time and I got 68. However, I tried 5 times only on writing which let me feel really frustrating. I think we could work together.

9. WongHF

WongHF Rookie

Oct 21, 2019

Hi, rahrah321, I suggested that you have to find out which Maths concepts you are not familiar with? Then master them by practising more on them. Then you can pass.
    For ex: I know I need to improve on those sections
    1) measurement (memorize them) especially inches to yards, ft to miles and etc
    2) Percent - other applications of percent
    - Finding percentage increase or decrease
    3) algebra - inequalities.

The best 7th edition is good enough to help to master the terms, you can do it.

My problem is the writing section, maybe we can help one another as Sunny suggested.

I am Julia. Perhaps we can exchange email addresses to discuss more?

10. artiste7

artiste7 Rookie

Nov 9, 2019

Hi,
    Math has always been my weakest subject and when I was in school there was no special remedial class for math learning disabilities as they have now. I got a tutor and worked with her on the problems from the study book, for about two months. I didn't spend $1000. I retook the math section and got a 47 which was better than the score i received in reading and writing, which I am very good at doing. So...i suggest getting a tutor and not spending more money than you need to unless you have it to spend. All the best!
    Artiste7