Need help with Baby You're a Firework class theme...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Sep 11, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

I'm not big on themes, but I thought this one might fit in nicely for my class; it's patriotic, fun, youthful, I like the message, the lyrics. My problem is that I'm not real creative. We have Back to School night this Thursday, so want to get some clever ideas to show off in my room. Can you help me with some quick, easy and fun ideas we can pull off in three or four days? HELP!!!

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2011

Have you already started making signage for this theme? If so, you'll need to go back and fix the grammar. Baby, You're a Firework.

Where does the quotation come from?

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

I don't do themes, but I do have a comment on the punctuation of yours. It should be: Baby, You're a Firework.

And what grade is this? Are all of the parents going to be ok with a Katy Perry-themed classroom?

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

It's from a Katy Perry song.

I won't assume that an on online typo extends to anything else. Goodness knows, we all make our share of those, especially when we have autocorrect lurking over our shoulders as we type.

No ideas, sorry! I'm not much a KP fan, but I do like this song. Maybe if we knew more about your classroom, we could come up with a few ideas. What subjects/ages do you teach?

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 11, 2011

I don't understand what "Baby, You're a Firework" means. You mention lyrics -- is this a song? Is it something the parents will even understand?

I'm confused.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

It's a song with a feel good, be your best, be yourself kind of message. The video also has an anti-bullying message. I've heard it played at all sorts of school functions, so the kids will almost certainly know what it means.

8. KateL

KateL Habitué

Sep 11, 2011

I didn't assume it did either, but I wanted to make sure she got the signs correct. I know plenty of parents that judge the intelligence of the teacher by whether she can spell and use correct grammar (fairly or not), and I didn't want the OP to get caught up in any of that!

9. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2011

http://www.directlyrics.com/katy-perry-firework-lyrics.html here are the lyrics and a video.

I feel like you could take black paper and cover a bulletin board and then draw fireworks on it with chalk, or those metallic paint markers. You could also make something fire-work-ish with those metallic pipe cleaners.

Do you have a Christmas Tree SHop near you? I was in there today and they had a lot of 4th of July/patriotic summer holiday stuff on clearance. You might be able to find something there.

That's all I got - I am not overly creative either.

10. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2011

Dah, it is You're, not YOUR. I was trying so hard to figure out how to say my question, I didn't think about how to spell it. And yes, I DO judge when others make these kinds of errors. That will teach me.

Many of the parents will get it. They played her song quite often this summer. This is a 5th grade. I've been surfing for bb ideas and thought that this might be something new, different and inspiring. I love the lyrics and the message.

Even brighter than the moon, moon, moon...I was thinking fireworks, glitter on dark paper, flags, moons, stars. It is more for the bb than the class as a theme, but we could play the song when the students achieve something in the class. I have a lot of low students and I'm trying to figure out how to pull them together.

Sorry about the typo. Too bad we can't edit our post titles...

I CAN CHANGE IT FOR YOU! (Upsadaisy)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2011
  11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 11, 2011

I would play off all of the different metaphors and figurative language in the song. For example, your science area can be the "boom, boom, boom! Even brighter than the moon..." section. Your art section can be "let your colors burst", things like that.

And since you teach elementary, I'm sure the vast majority of your parents will know the song, too. We forget how young the parents are, for the most part. ;)

12. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Sep 12, 2011

I would use a lot of metallic colorings and glitter. Anything that actually shines or glistens would be great. It might be cool to do a mini-lesson about fireworks - how they got started, what they are used for, and the different meanings they have today (segway into your view and theme). It sounds like a lot of fun and will ge beautiful when executed. Have a great time with this theme!

13. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Sep 12, 2011

This was our class theme song last year and we loved it! I played it for them at least once a week for a little celebration and before every big event or test! I didn't do a decor theme with it though but I love the idea. Let us know what you do!

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 12, 2011

If they have kids in that age group, they know the song.

15. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 12, 2011

I don't really know the lyrics to the song, but it seems like it has a positive message. So, why not have the students write positive things about themselves or a classmate and display it with the pictures of fireworks? What makes them a "firework"?

16. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2011

Upsadaisy, thanks for fixing my big, fat fopah!(sp?)

thanks all. Great ideas. Right now I'm working on more of the patriotic aspect of the theme, but I'm with you, we'll start with the song and maybe I'll let the kids throw around some ideas.

You can look up the song on You Tube. It will get you up off of your feet...:cool: