Need help with American Revolution Unit

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.defelice, Jul 7, 2009.

1. ms.defelice

ms.defelice Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

I am taking a class this summer. We have to develop a lesson unit that uses technology. I know my unit is the Road to Independence. I want to focus in on different events that lead to the Revolutionary War...Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, etc.

However, I am quite technology challenged. I hear terms like Wikis, and Podcasts and I am not quite sure what these are, and if it would even be possible to use them or some other type of technology for my lessons. We are not being given much support in this class, and I need some help!:):thanks:

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I used a variety of different websites last year for this unit. Some of our highlights:

The National Archives has a page to explore the Declaration of Independence. At the end, the students are asked if they want to sign it, and are then warned of the possible consequences. They can then see the DOI wit their name on it (and even print it off). We did a simulation, and my kids loved being able to sign as their "characters." http://archives.gov/exhibits/charters/charters.html

PBS has a good website to accompany one of their series, with resources, games, etc.
    http://www.pbs.org/ktca/liberty/

I know there are more, but they are on my computer at school. I'll post more when I can.

4. goopp

goopp Devotee

Jul 7, 2009

I just created a webquest for my technology class called Independence Day. It's made with powerpoint and accesses tons of websites about the American Revolution. If you are interested, PM me and I will send you the link.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I teach ELA, but I also try to incorporate non-fiction reading as much as possible. In 11th with American lit, I do a unit about the Age of Reason, and I developed a unit around these articles:

http://www.usnews.com/Topics/tag/Subject/r/revolutionary_war/index.html (the ones from July 27, 2008

We start by drawing words and symbols that we associate with the war. We also look at how the war was represented artistically, through fine arts, the poem "Paul Revere's Ride" by Longfellow, and even some School House Rock Videos. Then we read the myths in the articles. We had a great discussion about how history is portrayed artistically vs. factually, but we also discussed how maybe this is a good thing - would anyone know who Paul Revere is without the poem? Is it better to know nothing about him, or a romanticized story about him? I liked it because the students weren't just discussing the stories and time period, but the purpose of literature, art, and history in general.

You could easily do a unit like this as a webquest, with the various poems, video clips, articles, etc.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

Ooops, I just saw you taught 5th - might be a little advanced. lol

7. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Jul 8, 2009

Our third and fourth grade teachers do a huge project together each year on our state's history. They put together a blog where they put out questions that the students can respond to, either from school or at home. I can send you a link to it, so you can see what it looks like, if you like, and could even put you in touch with them, if you had questions. :)

With my 5th graders, I do a Taxation Without Representation simulation (That's a mouthful!) each year. It involves M & M's and role playing. :) The kids really love doing it and it really hits home on the unfairness of being taxed without having a voice in the process. You could do Wiki page with them telling their reactions, based on the point of view of the role they played.

Feel free to PM me, if you would like more info or help with either of these. :)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 8, 2009