Need help with advanced preschool class!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by PCB2008, Sep 7, 2008.

1. PCB2008

PCB2008 New Member

Sep 7, 2008

My 4/5 year old class is extremely advanced! They already know their letters, letter sounds, numbers, shapes (including octagon and pentagon) and colors. We do a circle time where we do the Pledge, calendar, weather, morning message, etc. We are also working on writing. Anyone have any ideas on how to advance a preschool class? I want them to be at the top of the class when they get to Kindergarten! Thanks!

3. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Sep 7, 2008

Have you introduced time or patterning? My preschool class last year caught on real quick. Some were doing simple addition and subtraction and I had a couple who were beginning to read. You could also work on handwriting by giving them sentences or words to copy using penmanship paper.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 7, 2008

My preschool classes usually love the patterning and involve several increasingly difficult examples into the necklaces.

We also love to tell time-and as the year goes on I find thrift store watches for leaders to wear. First they are only "hand watches" and the children have to tell us when it is time to transition based on a hand clock. Then we switch to a digital clock. It is a fun leadership job (and the person is always supported and never left to actually know before they are ready).

We work on fraction pizza games and a lot of early fraction ideas.

We do learn to read - nearly all of us - before Kindergarten so there is a lot of rhyme work that goes on and we jump from there into HOP on POP and CAT in the HAT.

Science and sequencing is also very big for us. We raise butterflies, ladybugs, plants for the garden and sometimes tadpoles and set up enviornmets for the living things.

I love the differences in the children advanced or not-I usually have all of the levels in a class. However, that doesn't mean the slower ones have to hold the speeders back.

I should say we also do a more emergent or project oriented learning style than plain themes. The children seem to get to spread thier learning efforts out more this way, IMO.

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 7, 2008

I do writing practice with my class every day, letters of the alphabet 3 days a week and names twice a week, we also do math activities/games, cooking projects and science projects---things like matching and patterns and spacial concepts are really improtant concepts for them to grasp as well as left/right and comparisons.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 9, 2008

My preschoolers decided that counting to 10 in 10 languages was an attainable goal to reach before kinder. Maybe they can move into your class?

We do have english, spanish, chinese, japanese, american sign language - 5 more by sept 09?

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 9, 2008

Are german and french on your list?

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 10, 2008

Not yet, thanks. Do you already know how to count in those 2 or are you just suggesting? I would love a cheat sheet if you do.

The kids are so funny, they are so sure. The parents almost fell over when they read the parent journal today. Many of them are at home working on what they know as well.

Good thing for netoworking. Can you imagine!! Lots of stress!!

9. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 11, 2008

I can do the french-- have to spell it the way you say it though--oonn, doowah, twah, cartra, sank, seese, set, wheat, nurf, dees. I could spell them correctly, but then you wouldn't know how to say them right?

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 11, 2008

See if this helps-- it's the French

Have patience. It might take a while to memorize all the numbers.:

The first number is un. It is pronounced like someone has punched you in the stomach. "Uh!"
    Two is deux. It's pronounced like "do". Try to say it with a French accent if you can.
    Three is trois. If you can't pronounce French R`s, this may be tricky for you. It's pronounced t- (French r) -wah.
    Four is quatre. Another French R here. It`s pronounced c-a-t(French R, but a small, not-as-noticeable-one.).
    Practice un, deux, trois, and quatre until you have them memorized. Move to the next numbers:

Five is cinq. This is an easy one. It's pronounced like "sank". Yet again, try to say it with a French accent, and it's perfect!
    Six is six. Though it's pronounced differently. In French, "six" is pronounced "seece" - s-ee-s.
    Seven is sept. It's pronounced "set". Yet again, with a French accent on i i, just set. Like "I set" something on the table.
    Eight is huit. It's pronounced like "sweet" without the s, kinda. "wheat".
    Nine is neuf. It's pronounced like "n-uh-f".
    And, finally, ten! Ten is dix. It's pronounced (similar to six) like "deece". d-ee-s.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 11, 2008

I would try to expand upon present knowledge. Teach them how to problem solve. Teach them how to work as a group on a project. Have them do science experiments. Keep in mind that memorizing is not learning.

Take a good look at the teachings of Piaget, and you will see that expanding understanding is better than increasing knowledge.

12. sugar001

sugar001 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

Read more books to fill in time- critical and creative thinking- how would you end the story?
    draw illustrations, re-tell story, this can be adorable.....etc.
    how much technology is available to you and your Einstein's?
    I think you should throw in Latin too, for all your pre law and pre med kiddos

review Blume's Taxonomy-

13. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Sep 13, 2008

Sidenote- Just me being picky, but DEUX or 2 in French is not like "do" in English. It's hard to explain because it's not really a vowel sound that we have in English. It is more like the double 0 sound in "book". =)

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 13, 2008

Pick away, if I was to show the group I have the wrong way and then they go home to find out I was incorrect-they would certainally know who was at fault!!

Fast children are really rewarding-but you really have to do your research.

Any other tips for the counting?