NEED HELP with a Turkey Decoration

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by McKennaL, Nov 7, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Nov 7, 2009

I have a SEMI-Idea and I am drawing a blank with the rest of it.

I went to a dollar store and bought a cardboard cutout of a animated turkey. He is wearing a pilgrim's hat, has his wings stretched out, and is holding a sign that says "Happy Thanksgiving". He HAD a full fan of feathers behind him...and I cut that off.

I want to put him on the bottom of the bulletin board, and replace that fan with one of our own. A feather for each ________.

And that's where I draw a blank.

We have two and a half weeks before we stop school for Thanksgiving (the last day of school I would like to take a picture of each class in front of this incredible turkey). But what should the feathers be?

I was thinking about student accomplishments. I was thinking about class room accomplishments. I was thinking about all the things we will learn. I was thinking about what we are thankful for.

Now...in my room alone (room 115) I have about 52 kids over the course of the week (preschool M-W-F, T-TH, and M-F PLUS a regular kindergarten class in the afternoon). If we do it with BOTH the preschool AM/kindergarten PM classes...THAT is going to be a LOT of kids!!!! (not sure if we WILL do it with the other class)

I don't want it to fill up TOO quickly (so a "what are you thankful for?" would be a huge mass immediately)

Any ideas of where to take this?

Help me finish my thought (my collaboration buddies!).

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 7, 2009

Well, depending on home support, I would send one smallish feather home with each child and ask them to decorate it with their family however they want (glitter, markers, stickers, etc...). Then I would relate the title to something about each student being unique but together they make a complete picture. (Yeah, the title needs work!)

4. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2009

I'm drawing a BIG blank too right now but I'll get my thinking cap on after my oatmeal settles in!:D
    I like Tasha's idea.
    How about using Tasha's idea and have the families also fill out a WE are thankful for_____________________ statement @ your door. They have to be JUST ONE WORD REPLIES. Let it be what they are MOST THANKFUL for. After your turkey is done, hang your nicely decorated (by you) statement on the turkey's mouth or anywhere infront of him. You can list the "WE are thankful for_____________" statement REPLIES, in alphabetical order; their family names.:)
    Rebel1

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 7, 2009

If you don't want it to fill up fast. You could do something like thankful for kind acts, or being safe, or self help skills. And everytime you catch a student doing one of these you could put it up on the board.

I did what each child was thankful for on individual turkeys. It was interesting what they picked. One little girl said family, school, pets, Auntie Lisa. Her parents thought that was the best! That Auntie Lisa wasn't included in the family part.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 8, 2009

You could brainstorm as a group, so that you have only one feather that says family, and one that says food.