Need help with a student

Discussion in 'General Education' started by montanadreaming, Oct 3, 2011.

1. montanadreaming

montanadreaming Rookie

Oct 3, 2011

Any help on with this would be VERY VERY helpful!

I have a 3rd grade student that is new to my school. He is having a difficult transition. When we go to do an assignment he will tell me "I do not understand" or "I can't do this"! I will stand by his desk and go over the directions in as many ways as I can think of and go over more examples. Then I will try to have him do one on his own. He will still claim that he does not understand. For example today we were learning how to measure distance between two cities using the map scale on a given map. He could complete the steps with me there at his desk but could not complete any by himself.

Another example, I gave homework passes to students with clean desks. I explained that they could use the pass for one night of spelling homework, or one night of reading comprehension homework, or one night of vocabulary homework. They needed to put their name on the pass and could use it when they chose but if they lost it they would not get another. This student started crying because he did not understand whhat to do with the homework pass.

This happens everyday, I cannot be at his desk every minuite everyday. I have tried giving him a buddy but this has not helped.

Thanks for any suggestions.

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 3, 2011

Did he go to school before? (Like in a small town, or in a school where he knew everyone, or was homeschooled?) It sounds like he is insecure to me and needs the reassurance you bring rather than an additional explanation? I would encourage him and congratulate him as he does things independently. For example, have him do a job for you. Have him succeed at something--anything and build from there.

4. teacher mom

teacher mom Rookie

Oct 3, 2011

It sounds like the student is upset about leaving his old school and is being difficult. If not maybe he is low or insecure. Hopefully you will be getting information from his old school that might help you answer that question. Personally, I would have him finish his work during recess or a fun activity. Then you will see if he truly can't do his work or is just finding a way of getting out of it. I know it sounds cold but I have done it with students. It can be amazing what they can do when they choose to. Good luck!

5. montanadreaming

montanadreaming Rookie

Oct 3, 2011

He has been in school before and accodrning to mom has always had this problem. So far we do not have a file from his old school. The only thing I have to go by is a great report card from his old school and what mom is saying.

This student has told me that mom and dad "do" his homework and he copies what they do. He scores well on tests once he has asked at least three times "if I do not answer a question is it wrong?"

Does this student get stubborn? yes! Does this student need reassurance? YEs and it has been given. His old school is a bigger school then we are, there are several students from his old school in our classroom as well.

He does not understand how to complete reading comprehension worksheets but when they are corrected his grade is great. I think that the fact that they go home is why. I think mom and dad re do the comprehension sheets with him at night. I am really thinking that there could be a processing issue going on.

Please continue to give suggestions.

6. katie11

katie11 Rookie

Oct 4, 2011

Why can't you talk to him directly. Ask why he feels difficulty in learning?:( May be he may loose concentration in between or feels lazy to do things.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 4, 2011

I would stop sending home unfinished work and just send home the homework the class receives.

I think you'll need to have a clear picture of his abilities.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 4, 2011

Does he just not do any work at all without assistance, or does he do better with written directions over verbal directions or vice versa?

Perhaps a behavior chart?