Need help with a sample lesson

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by brandip22, May 12, 2010.

1. brandip22

brandip22 Rookie

May 12, 2010

I have interviewed for a position that I really want. They want me to come in to teach a lesson so they can see me teach. It is a PreK class. Any ideas as to what would work well? I teach K now, so I think I will do a good job, I am just having a hard time deciding what to do. thanks!!

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

May 12, 2010

Did they give you any parameters? Subject? Time limit?

4. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

May 12, 2010

Exactly what ages... 4-5?

5. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

May 12, 2010

Definitely a hands-on activity where the children are actively engaged. Science usually works well. Think of how your Kinders are when they first begin school in September. That's about how Pre-K'ers are this time of year. Good luck

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 23, 2010

I teach pre-K and I just did a lesson on parts of a plant that the children loved and went really well. We talked about parts of a plant and looked at a poster with the lifecycle of a plant on it, then we went outside and I dug up a dandelion plant for each child (if you can't do that part perhaps you could dig them up ahead of time and bring them in with you). Then we went back inside and I gave each child a piece of paper and they took the dandelion apart (flower, stem, leaves, roots) and looked closely at the parts. Then they glued (glue stick worked well for this)the pieces on the paper to put the plant back together. I drew a picture on the board of a plant with the names of the parts and they copied the names next to the pieces on their paper. I hung them up in the hall way and every time we walk by them they look at them and talk about the project!

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

May 23, 2010

I did another project with dandelions too that incorporated science,literacy, art, fine and gross motor. I read the book Dandelions about how danelions grow and where the seeds are etc and I read ERic Carle's book, The tiny seed. Then we went out side and looked up close at dandelions that were still yellow and some that were already white and fluffy. (science/observation).Each child got to run around (gross motor) and pick a White dandelion and gather back around me. We then blew the white stuff off and looked at the seeds. They went and got a second one and we pulled very gently (fine motor) to get the white stuff off with the seeds still attached,and looked at that. Then we let the seeds blow away in the wind. (grounds keepers gonna love us for that -NOT!) Then we went back inside and I gave them a piece of paper and instructed them to think about the story and how the seeds get spread to make new flowers and think about what the dandelions looked like and to draw a picture of how flower grow. Each child's picture was different (art) based on their own interpretation of the story and what they observed.But they all had the basic concept. One child drew a yellow flower, a white flower, and brown seeds in the sky. Another child drew a white flower,brown seeds in the sky and one brown seed on the grass. They were wonderful.