Need help with a 4 year old boy! :)

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Nicole S., Sep 9, 2010.

1. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Sep 9, 2010

I have a four year old boy in my preschool class. He's usually pretty good (behavior wise), but sometimes he just won't listen. I have tried giving him three warnings and then timeout, but he won't go. He throws himself on the floor. I have carried him to timeout, but he's a big boy and that's kind of hard.

What do you think I could do? I thought about trying a sticker chart...
    What else could I try?

I am kind of stressing out about this, as I want to get it under control. This is the 3rd week of school, but I did have him in my class last year.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Nicole

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2010

I had an old mentor who always used to say, "Try to catch them doing it right". Meaning, instead of offering lots of negative reinforcement like warnings, find him when he's meeting your expectations and say something like, "I noticed you were helping Johnny with his trucks just now. Thank you. It must've felt great to help a friend."

Or, if you know of another child who needs help finishing a puzzle or something like that, and you know this child can do it, ask this 4 yr old boy to help that child finish the puzzle and put it away. It doesn't have to be a puzzle, but the message is the same.

I find that when I try to look at the positive with these children (and it can be reaaaaaaly hard sometimes) I do a much better job of getting their behavior under control, barring any type of behavioral disorder. Most 4 yr olds don't have behavioral disorders, though.

Consistency and being positive have always been my success. I know others will have more information.

Good luck!

4. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Sep 10, 2010

I am really trying to look for the positives. When he is doing something right I do praise him. When he has a great day, I do praise him. I send positive notes home to his parents so that they know he had a great day, or a great half of a day. When I have him help someone else, he almost brags about it. I have him help others, and others help him.

Thanks for the advice. Anyone else?

Nicole S.

5. SamIAm

SamIAm Companion

Sep 10, 2010

Have you spoken to the child's parents about this? I think that needs to be the first step. It may be that the child gets very little discipline at home. Having the parents on board with any plan really makes things so much easier. You could do a chart with the parents. I knew a child who was very difficult and the school would give the parent daily reports. If the child got a good report (listened well, didn't hit etc.) his parents would give him a reward (wearing his batman costume :)) I think it's good for the child to see that his parents back you up, and it might kick the parents into gear and have them take a little more control.

6. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Sep 10, 2010

I am having a similar problem with a four year old child. Every morning at drop off he will throw a tantrum about every little thing. He also prefers to play with the younger children and behaves in a way that is not fitting for his age. He is starting to drive me a little crazy even though I know I shouldn't take it so personally.

I have tried both positive reinforcements and redirecting with no avail. He is not supposed to have toys from home within the classroom, but gets away with due to his constant temper tantrums in the morning. I want to lay the ground rules for this child because it is unfair for the other children when he has one set of rules and everyone else has to follow another.

Also, I have just talked to my director and she told me that she will try to talk to him about the situation. I am ready to talk to the parent myself in the morning, but I think that she spoils the child and that makes him the way he is.

What do I do?

7. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Sep 10, 2010

I have talked to the parent about this, as I had this child when he was 3 last year. If he has a bad day, they are doing something about it at home. Maybe I could suggest rewarding/promoting his good days at preschool once he gets home. Maybe a small treat, 15 minutes more tv, a quiet book with mom or dad...What do you think about this?

Annetxa...

I agree that you want to lay ground rules. I would so no to the toys too. You want it to be fair for everyone. Do you have a picture chart or something of his daily morning routine? Maybe he could put the pictures up for the day, and as he completes them he takes the pictures off. (even if it's short like hang up coat, backpack, sign in, find a book to look at quietly or something and then add on to that as you go)

Just an idea!
    Nicole