Need Help toPass CBEST Writing Section

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Nyuck, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Nyuck

Nyuck Rookie

Jan 25, 2016

Hello all,
    I took CBEST, but I could not pass the writing section. I got Math 58 Reading 43 and Writing 26. In the score report, it said the Usage and Structure and Conventions need for improvement. I think I have a huge trouble with writing, because English is not my primary language. 26 is far away from 37, and the most serious problem is I don't know how to improve my writing within a short time.:cry:Is there any possible that I could pass it? Any advice that I could get? Many thanks in advance!!!:praying::praying::praying::praying::praying::praying:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2016

Those are the two categories that give the most test takers the most grief - and this includes the native speakers of English.

What have you been using so far to prepare for CBEST?

Nyuck likes this.
  4. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jan 25, 2016

A few years ago, I discovered www.grammarly.com, which I think is helpful for learning and applying grammar and sentence structure rules. What you can do is select a writing prompt from a CBEST study guide, respond to it, and submit your essay to Grammarly. This program will quickly assess your submitted essay and explain specific grammar and sentence structure errors. You can make edits and resubmit your essay. It's really nice how over time, you will see that you made fewer and fewer errors on each subsequent essay draft if you made the suggested edits.

Nyuck likes this.
  5. Nyuck

Nyuck Rookie

Jan 25, 2016

Thank you for replying very much!
    I use several books, which are CBEST: California Basic Educational Skills Test, Cliffs Test Prep CBEST/ BY Jerry Bobrow, and Kaplan CBEST. I think the first one is very useful. Do you have other resources?

6. Nyuck

Nyuck Rookie

Jan 25, 2016

Thank you for telling me!! It will be very useful for me. Most of my friend are international students, so I even don't know whom I could ask for help me modify my essay. Thank you a lot!!!!!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 25, 2016

The Web site Using English, www.usingenglish.com, might serve you well for learning to manage English verb tenses and idioms and the like; I believe one can submit phrases or sentences for evaluation, and the grammar explanations are pretty good. If your first language is Spanish, I might also recommend Farrell & Farrell's Lado a lado, which is a dual-language sentence grammar in Spanish.

Write Better Essays in 20 Minutes A Day
    is one of LearningExpress's very fine Skill Builders books, and it should be pretty easy to find. You don't need the most up-to-date edition.

Another approach: Find a good SAT prep book. My favorite, which may or may not still be in print, is Up Your Score, but you might be as well served with Princeton Review's book. (SAT prep books have much bigger audiences than do even CBEST books, so the publishers tend to put more effort into them and to make the revisions that each year's errors require.) A good SAT prep book will coach on writing essays and also on college-level vocabulary - most basic-skills prep books don't bother. By no means do you need all those words, but the ones that you see most frequently in educated writing would make fine ornaments to yours.

8. Nyuck

Nyuck Rookie

Jan 25, 2016

Sure! I love all information that you provide. At first, I should keep the positive attitude in my mind and start to take practice. I will check all resources and find an appropriate one. Hope it will get better. My next test time is on 29/02. Unfortunately, I am not a Spanish speaker, I am a Chinese speaker. Maybe there is the reason why I could not pass the test, a lazy student with different language structure did not work hard.
    I am very glad to talk with you, and also could get all advice from you!

9. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Jan 26, 2016

Nyuck, I'm glad that you found these suggestions helpful. I applaud your desire to learn and think that you have done a commendable job with learning English. If you practice responding to writing prompts and take the suggestions you receive (from reliable sources such as www.grammarly.com) seriously, you can pass the CBEST writing section. Don't fret about not passing this section at first. I personally know other teachers who didn't pass at least one section on their first try either. They didn't give up and eventually passed each section. You can too!

10. Nyuck

Nyuck Rookie

Jan 26, 2016

Thank you for all nice words, and thank you for encouraging me as well! I feel much better! I will try my best to get it ASAP~ Maybe not ASAP, it takes a while but I will be there^^ Thank you!!!!

11. nenyi

nenyi Rookie

Apr 29, 2016

Did you finally pass?

12. nila

nila Rookie

Jul 30, 2017

Hi!
    Did you pass?
    I took the test in July and recently found out I didn't pass, I am so herat broken. I will try one more time. I got 33, and I need 37 since I already have 92 combined math and reading. But somehow I lost my confidence after I failed the writing section.

13. Julie1983

Julie1983 New Member

Sep 19, 2017

I couldn't pass my writing section. I'm working very hard too

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  14. nila

nila Rookie

Sep 19, 2017

Hi! Julie1983
    I am taking it again on this Saturday 23rd. To tell you the truth I did whatever I can but don't know if I can pass it. I would take a writing class in some comunitycollege if I don't pass this time. But just keep trying, for non native speakers sometimes it take 6 to 7 turn before you pass it.

15. Julie1983

Julie1983 New Member

Sep 20, 2017

it is very difficult for non-native speakers (

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019