Need Help,Tips, Ideas...3-4 year olds

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LakenWalker4, Jul 11, 2016.

1. LakenWalker4

LakenWalker4 New Member

Jul 11, 2016

I took over a classroom of 3-4 year olds in february.. the teacher prior had no schedules no structure no discipline, she didnt teach them she let them do whatever they wanted. When i took over i had come from being a vpk assistant. I set a schedule, routines, i structured our lessons, i got them to pay attention... for a little while anyway. Then my boss bought a new building. half the classes moved there and a couple classes stayed behind, including mine until demo is done and they finish remodeling the rest. They did move my class to a room twice as big as where we were... now my kids are unruly, loud, crazy, purposefully annoying and act like they are wild. Circletime is a nightmare. I use the "i like how nice bob is sitting on my carpet" they all sit quietly, look at me and then uproar as soon as i start talking. Weve been in this room for 3 weeks. They run around the room like theyve drank a bottle of mountain dew, they hit kick punch slap spit and anything else they can at each other. I have some who blow raspberries the entire time im reading a story. I knew there would be an adjustment period, but i kept to the schedule and they know what theyre supposed to do... they just dont want to. In addition ive gotten several new kids in my class..a couple came from a center that had no doors or structured center time the kids were allowed to roam free wherever they wanted. I can get them quiet, and someone will open the door and ask me for a paper.. i get up, grab it and walk to the door, in those 10 seconds my entire class will have jumped up and started running around screaming chasing each other and getting into my stuff in the teachers box. Ive been researching different things to try and do but introducing something new makes them worse. My boss suggests candy kept in my pocket... but thats not something i can afford to upkeep nor do i want them sugared up anymore... most times they come in with a handful of skittles or m and ms anyways so i dont wanna add to the sugar. I ask them what is the issue today ? they respond with " we wanna go outside right now!" No matter how many times i explain that they know we have set times we go outside and we cannot change them they continue. "well behave if we go outside" "we wanna play not sit here" Im just lost. help!

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 22, 2016

Wow. I'm legit upset that their previous teacher had zero structure or routine.
    I'd start taking their favorite things away if you're allowed to.
    "If you behave like this, we're not going outside today"
    Don't let them win. You're the teacher.
    What worked for my class last year was making them sit longer on the carpet until they started listening, we took away center time and outside time, we pretty much just started doing things they didn't like if they were not listening. Seriously, in one week, I had the best class. Other teachers still comment on how my kids were always so well behaved and played nicely.
    We couldn't do it if anyone from the outside came in obviously, but our site director was all for it. She'd been a teacher for many many years so she knew.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2016

Then of course some kids, parents or teachers will kvetch about this being a non -solution. "Well I would NEVER take a child's recess away!" And then will berate you, while informing you about how "wonderful" everything is in their classroom. It's Christmas all the time! :rofl:

I try not to take it away if I can help it. I know the kids need to run around and be physically active, but if they can't demonstrate a procedure, we'll take the time for practice during THEIR free time. My kids continually couldn't line up or walk in the halls properly. Guess what? We practiced ALL recess. I had them outside practicing walking laps around the quad (they still got exercise) until they could show me that they could do it. And shockingly there was a remarked improvement because all I'd have to do is look outside and say, "Hmmm.. do we need to practice again?" The class collectively responded, "NO!" And then of course I had the smart a** who said, "Yes," and I simply said, "OK. Well then YOU can stay back with me and practice." I love when kids try to test the system. :D

And then my principal threw around "corporal punishment" when I told her I did that. What a bunch of BS! Practicing a procedure until it's mastered is NOT "corporal punishment." We spent a great deal of time lining up, sitting back down, and then repeating on THEIR time too because they had problems with that. This was part of the problem I had with my P. And we had "that" group of kids (all the other teachers left because they didn't want to teach this group), and we got no support -- they RARELY came into our room or met with us to see how we were doing and we were ALL new to the school -- so F**** THEM! I did the best I could with what I had. And they shaped up SO MUCH by the end of the year. I told my P that I would stay and go to 4th grade with them because there was an opening, but she never responded and that position is *STILL* open. Their loss. :roll:

5. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

I had the same issue when I took over our 3s classroom. I eventually went back to my 2s classroom because they were in desperate need of a teacher in that room that could handle 2 year olds but when I had 3s I had a behavior chart. They each had a clothes pin with their name on it and when they would share or sit nicely at circle time or used their manners or cleaned up etc their pin would move up a level and when they did something unacceptable such as not cleaning up or running or hitting their pin would move down if their pin is at the top of the chart at the end of the day they would get to pick out of the "treasure box" I went to the dollar store and just got some candy and small toys and some stickers. If their pin was at the bottom of the chart they would get a note sent home. I tried not to do the behavior chart but since they had no structor it was my last hope. It worked really well actually. The kids had plenty of opportunity and parents loved seeing a visual of how their child's day went.

6. Audria007

Audria007 Rookie

Jul 22, 2016

Every day they started at ready to learn. I made my own at the top it said treasure box at the bottom it said note home

Attached Files:

7. LakenWalker4

LakenWalker4 New Member

Jul 22, 2016

Thanks i will try some of the stuff i haven't yet. Ive got the color coded behavior chart and treasure box. Treasure box doesnt work because they get candy at home if they dont get it with me. My issue now is im losing kids and getting new ones who have never been in daycare before so now its a madhouse trying to teach 6 new kids the routines while the rest wanna do what they want. Thanks guys!!! Im trying so hard!!!

8. LakenWalker4

LakenWalker4 New Member

Jul 22, 2016

Also im going to move up to vpk teacher and half these kids are going with me so hopefully the next 2 weeks i can get this managed better! :)

9. ece

ece Rookie

Jul 31, 2016

I would keep focusing on rewarding kids who are doing well. In addition to calling out how you like kids are sitting, I would give them an actual reward, and give it immediately, instead of delayed at the end of the day or the end of the week. Kids that age find it hard, when rewards are given later, to remember and tie their behaviors to the rewards or punishments, since they will have done many things since that moment. Give individual students whatever rewards you want (food that's not sugar, a sticker, a stamp, a special necklace to wear, a special job, a choice of a song to sing or book to read, etc.). It can be anything that will motivate them. When they see one child called out at a time getting a special reward for doing the right thing, they'll all want to. It'll take time and consistency to get them to keep up with the behaviors, but it will eventually work. And consistency is REALLY important just in general too, if you or your assistant asks them to do something, you both need to back each other up and follow through, and if you tell them a consequence will be delivered, you need to deliver that consequence no matter what, so they know that they will not be able to get away with any negative behaviors. If all of them are running around and you can't pick out even one child behaving, then I would make them all stop playing, sit, and be quiet, and start rewarding a child or children from there. Hang in there!