Need help-they don't listen...long!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Mrs.Christie, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Mrs.Christie

Mrs.Christie Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

Hello. I recently started a new job as an assistant teacher at a local "day school" in the 3yr/4yr room. I don't have much experience working with younger children, but I do enjoy it.

Going into the job I wasn't sure what expectations to have for 3/4 yr olds...behavior, listening skills, etc. After reading through the many pages of posts on this forum I realize that the class I am in is waaay behind and would benefit from more structure BUT since I'm not the lead teacher (an inexperienced to boot) it really isn't my place.

I am getting burned out already though. I spend ALL day correcting behavior, that's it. Out of my 8 hour day I spend maybe 20 minutes actually instructing. The lead teacher maybe spends an hour, maybe.

The only behavior management system in place is time out. I have several problem children that will simply ignore me and walk away. I have to follow them around the room and when I get down to their level and try to speak to them they sometimes won't even look at me. Is this normal? And btw, I am firm and consistent with the kids(to the point where I imagine all the children think I'm the mean teacher).

I like the idea of a reward system. Using a "magic bag" and offering some type of prize like a hand stamp or sticker. I am afraid of stepping on the lead teacher's toes though.

Any advice or suggestions? Also, if anyone can't point to a website or provide info on what should be expected of older3's/4 yr olds, it would be most helpful. Thank you!

3. Robin

Robin Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

Depends on the class.. I've been teaching preschool for 16 years and last year nothing I knew how to do, really worked. However, try: Catching kids being good. Most kids, like adults want to be told what they are doing right. Ask kids to do what do rather than what not to do. So, for instance, instead, 'Please don't throw the blocks," say what you want them to do instead: "Can you show me how to build with blocks? Can you build a tall tower?" Or instead of please don't draw on your hands, say: "Please use your marker on your paper." Or, " I see you are being very careful with our books, great job!" Schedule cards and labels are helpful. Warnings of upcoming transitions, such as "5 more minutes to play, and then we will put the toys away."
    Believe it or not, sometimes just a verbal observation will make a child change their behavior: "I notice you are pushing Johnny. It doesn't look like he likes that." Of course prompting Johnny to use his words to take care of himself is good too. A prompt: "Johnny? You can tell Amanda to Stop Pushing You. Tell her: Stop Pushing Me!. That's a few pointers.