Need help telling my kids I'm moving. . .

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by AggieTchr2006, Feb 10, 2008.

1. AggieTchr2006

AggieTchr2006 Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

My husband just got a great job, and we will be moving in two weeks. I don't know how to tell my kindergarteners. I was trying to think of any books where someone's friend moves, thought it might be a good transition, but couldn't think of anything. I don't know if they will have someone hired before I leave. Any suggestions as to how to tell them without crushing them?

Thanks!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

I don't have any advice on how to tell them that you're moving, but I am curious about whether you have a new teaching job lined up at the new place. In your state, will you be blacklisted for breaking your contract mid-year?

4. iTeacher

iTeacher Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

Aggie I hope you are not blacklisted! That would be awful. I hope they understand that your husband has a great job offer and can not turn it down. Good luck to you!

5. AggieTchr2006

AggieTchr2006 Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

No new job yet. The district I'm in could technically put a hold on my certificate if they wanted to, but I've been telling them since October that it was a possibility that I might be leaving. Since I've been upfront with them they will let me go.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2008

It's good that your district is so understanding. Good luck in your move! :)

7. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 10, 2008

Wasn't there a "Blues Clues" episode (or series of episodes) helping students deal with the host moving away? Steve, the host, left the show, so they made a storyline about him going away to college or a job? Blue got to stay behind with Steve's cousin or brother or something.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 10, 2008

Miss Lilly Is Leaving (an Angelina Ballerina book) by Katharine Holabird discusses the ballet teacher leaving to teach ballet and the kids trying to convince her to stay. I would be honest with the kids. Tell them that sometimes you don't want to move, but things happen and you have to move away. I would tell them right away and even make it fun. Mark it on the calendar and count it down.
    Hopefully, they will get a new teacher hired and you can transition the kids at least some. Have the new teacher come in and observe, see the schedule, introduce herself, and visit the school as much as possible before you leave.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Feb 10, 2008

What about Annie Bananie by Leah Komaiko? It's about two kindergarten aged girls and one of the girls moves away. I read it to my first grade class on my last day. It's really a very sweet book and I gave the class a copy to keep. I also gave each of them two hug candies to let them know that "they would be missed."
    Hope this helps!

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 10, 2008

Have them decorate pages of a scrapbook for you about them. Make it a family project. That way their parents will be able to have a transition activity and you will have a memory. You can also ask your peers to contribute also.

12. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Feb 10, 2008

Alxeander who is not not not going to move is a good one too.

13. AggieTchr2006

AggieTchr2006 Rookie

Feb 10, 2008

Thanks for all of the advice. I really like the scrapbook idea. :)