Need help solidifying a math project

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shanoo, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Dec 11, 2011

Ok, so I have one week before winter break and I thought of giving my Grade 8s a project to do, but I'm having difficulty fleshing it out.

We've been working on the optimization of perimeter and area. I thought of giving them a project where they have to create their dream home. I was thinking of giving them a set area of land that they could use, and then a set area for their house and they had to create it from there with certain parameters (they need to have at least the basic rooms of a house - kitchen, bathroom, livingroom and bedroom) and they need to have a backyard.

I was thinking of working in costs so that they would have to find the greatest area possible, with the smallest perimeter (fencing, for example, or a specific cost per meter to erect walls).

Does that sound in the least bit ok, or should I scrape it and find something else?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2011

We do something like this with our seventh graders. We have them include a circular pool and at least one room not shaped like a rectangle.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2011

It sounds like a lot.

We have our sophomores do a single room, complete with furnishings, paint and wall coverings. I just PM'd you the rubric we use. They can choose any room, and they always get a huge kick out of the project.

The area/perimeter thing sounds confusing until ONE kid realizes the figure is a square. Then it's easy for everyone.

For what it's worth, the IKEA site is great for furnishings, since it includes the measurements of each piece of furniture.

5. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Dec 11, 2011

Thanks, Alice! That really helps!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2011

I just found the actual project, and PM'd it to you as well.

7. Charger

Charger Companion

Dec 12, 2011

Aliceacc, can you pm the project to me as well? I am in the process of trying to develop a project like that for my 7th and 8th graders and could really use a starting point.

8. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 12, 2011

The project sounds like a lot of fun. It also sounds like a good amount of work, depending on how much detail is involved. I like the cost idea as another factor.