Need help setting up classroom!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ysalazar, Jul 24, 2006.

1. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

I need some help setting up a 5th grade classroom. I have never taught this grade level, so I don't know what it should look like. I've taught the lower grades, so I had centers such as library, writing, math, and art. My walls had a section with math info, lang/writing info, and reading info. If anyone has pictures of their classroom or ideas, please share. :confused:

3. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

I don't know if you teach in Texas or not, but I would definitely have a science section with vocab and posters (even kid related labeled work) that changes with the unit. (not only for the TAKS...again a 5th grade test in Texas, but also b/c I love it :) ) I also a library section...two actually (kids get crowded around the one a lot of times), an area for homework assignments on the board updated daily, a computer center, a "when I am finished with all classwork" type center filled with quiet activities like fact and logic cards, folder games for 1, puzzler worksheets, and extra credit. We have to have a 4-blocks word wall, but I also keep a smaller section of the wall for vocab used in history, novels, and science. As for pics of rooms...I've yet to master the art of the scan and attach/download pics, but I'm positive I saw a thread a day or 3 ago where others here attached pics of their classroom and this website http://www.mspowell.com/ has a lot of pics and ideas (just have the time to search through it all!)

4. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Thanks! Yes, I do teach in Texas and TAKS will be a big part of my day. I am planning on having a library area but I do not have any books for 5th graders. What do they like at that age? Also, I really do need to make some folder games. Did you purchase a resource for that or did you find some on-line? Thanks for your reply.

5. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

My students like Sharon Creech, Jerry Spinelli, Hank Zimmerman series (by Henry Winkler), Gary Paulson, mysteries, Andrew Clements, Series of Unfortunate Events series, books about facts, sports-themed books, Poetry. Typically I buy a lot of my books through scholastic and if my students are getting it, I'll buy on for the class. I look at what they gravitate towards in the library. I also buy my books at the Half Priced bookstores (my fav...sign up for their teacher discount card -5 or 10% off purchase-and for their mailing list). There, I go to the kids area under specific school subjects and find great teacher materials there. Also, in the general education area, like near the college and test preps, they have work books, elementary books, ect, that are good also. As for folder games, I was blessed to work with and become friends with a retiring teacher my first year and she gave me about 5 huge books of folder games. Others are just poster games I learned about in workshops and downsized them to fit a folder. I'm sure you can find some on line; I've never tried before. I have so many websites saved it's ridiculous. Where in Texas do you teach?

6. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 24, 2006

In upper grade classrooms I avoid centers like the plague. Instead I had a quiet reading area with lots and lots of books, a writing table with funky pens, dictionaries, thesauri, the writing process, publishing paper, a stapler and other useful things (it helps to have it all in one place so they know where to find and return things), a computer area, an easel and large rug area for writer's workshop minilessons, a table for guided reading with all my guided reading stuff close by, and one other table for cooperative group work. My students' desks were in groups of 5 or 6 so they could also do collaborative work at their table groups. On my walls: a space for vocabulary (all 4 subject areas), student work, classroom goals, behavior chart, writing process, classroom rules & guidelines for group work, content-specific posters, and the daily schedule.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2006

Definitely try to set aside some sort of section for Science and Social Studies. It's just a more grown-up version of the younger classrooms... not too dramatically different. Give your students a lot to look at and explore at this age.

8. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

I definitely need to buy books! Do you do read-alouds at this age? I used to read to my third graders all the time. One of you mentioned that you have a space for vocabulary. How do you have that set up? What kind of activities do they do with the vocabulary? As for the folder games, I will have to search either on line or at the teacher store. You really got lucky. I teach in San Antonio.

9. Jan Smith

Jan Smith Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

It's that time!

Read books aloud every day- they still need to hear them. I read Wayside School (3 books)- very funny.
    Vocabulary-use the dictionary as a drill- game- all hold up their dictionary you announce the word and they all try to find it fast and the first gets to read it- the others have to write a 3 or four word definition.(class discussion here!)
    Jan;) ;)

10. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 24, 2006

[​IMG]

In this photo you can see (just barely) that the far right panels of the back wall have space for language arts, math, science, and social studies words. This picture was taken early last year so we didn't have any math vocabulary added yet. Anyway we use the wall for all sorts of games and activities. It doubles as a word bank at times. For instance I sometimes give the kids a blank BINGO board and they use the wall to choose words for their boxes. Then I give definitions or sentences with words missing and if they have the word that I'm defining or that goes in the blank they cover that space. We also play Mystery Words amd a game called Valuable Vocabulary. It's just a really great way to focus on words they need to learn, and my kiddos know that any word that's on that wall is fair game for a vocabulary quiz. ;)

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 24, 2006

Hi ysalazar ~

I'll try to take pictures of my classroom tomorrow and post them for you. I'm in the process of still setting up but perhaps it will give you some ideas. (I teach 5th in AZ).

Also, as far as purchasing books for this grade a great resource is ebay. I bought almost all of my books (I have close to 1,000) on that website. I also requested my kids to "donate" any books that they may had but didn't want anymore. They would write on the front inside cover "Donated by _________". I would write a quick thank you up on the board with the book being showcased. I was amazed at how many kids started to bring in their books after that (I did require a note from their parents/guardians approving their donation just to be safe :D ).

Katie

12. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 25, 2006

Thanks to all who responded with great ideas and pixs. I plan on putting up a vocabulary wall just like the one in the picture. I look forward to seeing other pix of classrooms. I am a visual person so it helps to see your ideas and setups. Again, thanks a million!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2006

DEFINITELY do read-alouds at that age! :) They love it!

14. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 27, 2006

Finally took some pictures of my room - it's not completely done but it's a start. :rolleyes:

Excuse the mess in my library corner....they are cleaning the floors in the pod and moved some of the things into my room. I'll take another picture when it's all cleaned up. ;)

Just go to this webpage and click on Classroom Pictures in the bottom left.

http://www.kyrene.org/staff/kjensen/

15. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 27, 2006

Katenar
    I love the look of the Homeworkopoly. Can you tell me how the game works and what the "properties" are around the board?

16. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 27, 2006

katenar,
    I am absolutely beside myself with jealousy over how much storage space you have...all those cabinets and cubbies. Lucky you!

17. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 27, 2006

Thanks. Basically what I did was recreate the original monopoly board. Where the regular properties are I made up names like Spelling Blvd. or Freedom Avenue. If the kids land on these they just sit....sort of a free space.

However, where the utilities, railroads, taxes, community chess and chance spots were, I added things such as Pencil Box, Treat Jar, Homework Pass, Brain Benders, Computer Time and for the cards my titles are School Lunchbox and Backpack.

Where it said go to jail (the 3rd corner) I have put go to the school house with a bus sticker. Then where the jail house use to be, I have a school lot. Where free parking was I have lunchtime and Go is just that - GO. My kids will earn tickets weekly to be placed
    in a drawing. I figured when they pass go I'll give them a ticket. This will be my first year using it. I was thinking of playing only on Fridays but I think I'll try it every day and if that doesn't work out maybe twice a week. We'll see.

I got this idea from homeworkopoly.com but just made mine bigger and follow the real board. :)

18. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

Katenar,
    You have soooo much space. That is awesome! I noticed you had a bulletin board with Jungle Math. Is that the same as Mountain Math?

19. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

lol - it seems kind of small to me...I can never quite fit everything I want. But then again, I don't like a lot of clutter so I think that is my problem. I need all this space or else I start to feel trapped.

Yes - the jungle math is Mountain Math. I just changed it to go with my semi-jungle theme. :p

20. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

Katenar,
    I like your classroom. Hopefully mine will be set up soon. I tried going this week, but the secretary wanted us out. She runs the school, you know. lol
    How do you like Mountain Math? I have a friend who uses it, and she likes it. I am going to have some money to spend this year, so I am curious about this math. Tell me a bit about it if you don't mind.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 28, 2006

Your room looks like lots of fun. All those cupboards! Lucky you.

22. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 28, 2006

:( Unfortunately, I didn't use the mountain math too much last year. But basically when I did use it, every week I would put up a new selection and the kids would all grab the worksheet. On the worksheet it would have the kids do a variety of problems. :confused: My brain isn't working right now so I can't be more specific about the problems. I'll take a close up picture of the math board today and see if I can find the worksheet....I think I may only have a hard copy of it.

I think some other teachers use Mountain Math - maybe we should put a post up....I would like to find out more on how to better use it in my classroom. I really want to implement it this year. :)

23. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Jul 29, 2006

Shall I post it or do you want to do the honors?

24. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 29, 2006

Go for it. :)