Need Help! Science kids not getting it.....

Discussion in 'High School' started by iteachag, Nov 11, 2010.

1. iteachag

iteachag New Member

Nov 11, 2010

I teach Agriculture Biology, it is pretty rigorus course. My students pay attention, we take notes, worksheets, labs, etc. But when it comes to the test and benchmarks they totally bomb it! I need help.... any ideas???

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2010

Have you lined up each teaching objective with each test question? Sometimes this will help you see what is going on.

Also, maybe take a day to review the test and see if the students can explain their misconceptions (it is very eye opening).

4. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Nov 11, 2010

I give frequent objective quizes after lectures. Usually they are only 5 short answer questions. I have found since I have started to do this the kids study their notes more and it gives me feedback for when the more time needs to be spent over the material.

Perhaps your kids do not know how to study? There seems to be an increasing trend (where I work at least) of kids just not knowing how to effectively study. If this is the case you can work with them on basic study skills.

5. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Nov 14, 2010

I see the same trend about not knowing how to study. It amazes me when I poll the class before a test and see the number of students who never look at notes after they have written them. This after I page through my notes on review days and tell them SPECIFICALLY what they should know and understand for their test.

On the bright side, students who take more challenging classes are more apt to study. My last physics test was apparently a "killer", and I did have students relate to me how hard they studied. One even went to iTunesU to look at the tutorials I used in class and tried to mimic the demos to make sure they understood everything conceptually. Ironically, few heeded my advice on diagrams and problem solving; advice frequently repeated during class, practice exercises, and hand-written on their last tests. This time when I corrected tests I did not point out errors, just wrote a score for each problem. I figure the only way they will learn now is from finding their own mistakes. They have the chance to correct their tests and provide a written explanation of where they goofed.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Nov 14, 2010

Quick questions about your tests - do you write your tests or are the benchmark tests created by either a curriculum dept or textbook generated? I ask because many times tests generated by outside parties often contain vocabulary that students simply don't understand. If they don't understand the vocab, they probably won't understand the question and regardless of if they know the information or not, will probably miss the question.

I have this issue with my AP students and vocab. They have to keep a running vocab list from previous tests in order to help them improve their vocabulary. Once we build their vocab, the greatly improve on their test.

Just a thought . . . .