Need help regarding GATE student

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by niseixtenshi, Sep 10, 2008.

1. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

What a frustrating day. It's only the 6th school day with my advanced/strategic setting basics class (language arts, written expression, social studies). Today, I get a call from the VP that a parent called and basically complained wanting her kid to transfer to another teacher because my class isn't "challenging" enough.

This really frustrates me because first of all, I'm still getting a feel for where the students are at and she races to finish as fast as possible so that she can then raise her hand to say, "I'm finished..what do I do now?" The rest of the class is working at pace and she's the only one that sticks out like a sore thumb. It's still the beginning of the school year and we're doing a lot of review from the end of their last year (according to the pacing guide)

I'm currently a long-term substitute (by title for the 2nd full-year at this particular school). I admit, I'm still fairly new to it all...but I have to ask - what should I do?! Make a whole different daily lesson/homework plan for her?

Thank you in advance!

3. ChickenB

ChickenB New Member

Sep 10, 2008

We all have these types of students and parents at some time or another. One thing I have done recently is create a "Tic Tac Toe" assignment. I come up with 9 assignments. The ones horizontally across the top are the easiest. The ones in the middle are medium. The ones across the bottom are hardest. Student must choose 3 assignments to complete (in tic tac toe fashion). They know that the three easiest assignments, if completed to the best of their ability, are worth a C. If the three middle are completed, a B. The three hardest, an A. If they choose vertical or horizontal assignments, a B is the highest awarded. It sounds complicated, but for SS we just created generic assignments that can be adapted to any unit. Students have one week to complete the assignment, either at home or in class. When "fast" students finish their work before everyone else, you can say, "Work on your tic tac toe." Let me know if you want more info by emailing me at funkydoodledoo@netzero.net.

4. snap2blaam

snap2blaam Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

Ask the student what she would like to do next with the assignment. If your working on a science lesson, challenge her to come up with the next activity. As for the parent, smile when she talks and say I'll look into that. Usually parents never seen the school side of their child. I find that student who race to the end are careless and turn in less than par work. I like when they get creative and come up with answers i didn't expect. Ask the student, Is there another way of doing this. How else could you present your ideas. If she's willing to put in the work let her take it. I have a student who wants to build a zinc time warp using magnets and 4 D cell batteries. OF course he's gifted but I always ask him how he could extend his idea or present it creatively.

5. nteacher

nteacher Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

I feel ya!

The EXACT same thing happened to me today! It is so frustrating because the parent is allowing the student to get away with using "I'm bored to death" (exact words the parent used in the mtg) as a reason to not pay attn while I'm teaching. I don't really have any advice as of yet, but I just couldn't believe I came across a post that was so close to what happened to me!

6. niseixtenshi

niseixtenshi Rookie

Sep 17, 2009

I never got a chance to update. After a few weeks, the mom was perfectly fine having me as the teacher. My advice to you is, keep providing her with "above and beyond" projects to keep her mother happy. GATE kids enjoy working on hands-on reports and such. Also be sure to ask under the surface questions while general questioning in class. This allows them to get beyond the "I'm bored, this is easy" mentality.

The ironic part is that after 6 months as a "long-term sub" in this class, I was offered a temporary contract at the same school, same grade. Only pain was that I had to change classrooms, AND KIDS! The long-term after me was HORRIBLE/weird and boy did the parents miss me then! My previous parents were complaining to the administrators 24/7. They were even whining to me! I still to this day don't know how changing my assignment mid-year was what was "best" for the students. My previous wonderful class became out of control and suffered. It still makes me upset because I was really attached to those kids...

Good luck with this students of yours. I'm sure it'll just pass over time.