Need Help Poetry

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by luckyal29, Jan 4, 2009.

1. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jan 4, 2009

Teaching poetry definitely is not one of my strengths. My goal is for the students to write a simple short poem. 2nd grade 20-30 min.

The only poetry I've done before is a shape poem. The topic revolves around water (rain, ocean, waterfall, etc). I'm trying to use the poem as a launch to our unit about water (it was suggested by the teacher's edition, on the basis I knew how to teach poetry). Students will express their prior knowledge/experience about water through the poem.

I was going to get a Circle Map going with ideas related to water. But then I don't know how to transition those ideas into poetry writing. Could really use some help/ideas. Thanks

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2009

I love the Lucy Calkins "Units of Study for Primary Writers"...the poetry book is my favorite...I've met and worked with Stephanie Parsons, the author of the poetry units- she's great...

If you go on this link: http://www.unitsofstudy.com/samples.asp

There is a sample poetry lesson and a 'strategies poets use' printable...

Shape poems, cinquains, diamantes- that kind of stuff- it just doesn't seem to bring out the 'real poet' in kids, kind of constraining trying to get the words to fit a shape or a specific pattern of adjectives, verbs, etc...
    Teach them to look at the world with "poet's eyes"...looking at the world in a different and creative way (young kids are great with this...they do it naturally when they pretend...)

Here's a poet's eye poem for you:

'The ceiling is the sky for our classroom'

Also:

'I think there are a hundred bees inside our pencil sharpener...and they buzz and buzz and buzz...Until my point is sharp!'

Both poems are by Zoe Ryder White-

4. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jan 4, 2009

I'm terrible about teaching poetry to my students because I don't really like it much myself. :eek:
    I just taught them acrostic poems, using their names. We talked about adjectives then, too. They had a blast with it. We typed them up during computer lab.

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 4, 2009

Search A to Z lessons on poetry. I have found some pretty useful lessons on this site.

6. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Jan 5, 2009

I've been successful teaching poetry as a kind of poem rather than with certain topics. For example, you could teach haikus (great for 2nd grade as they have to concentrate on words and their syllables), acrostics (take the students' names and write them vertically, and the students come up with adjectives that describe themselves. I did this and had students choose each other's names and write poems about each other). You could do...um...limericks, which follow a rhyme pattern. Or just start each day with a new poem and have students write their own poems that mimic that one.

7. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Jan 5, 2009

Read lots of poems to and with kids. I use several "poetry" writing books. We begin with poems that just need some words filled in then move to different types of poems like peachacid mentioned. Do lots of modeling. My kids really like to do poems.

8. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 5, 2009

9. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Jan 5, 2009

Jack Pretusky (I think that is how to spell his last name) has some really great poems about school that kids can relate to well. I read one to the kids whenever we have a free moment. One of mine recited one in a poetry competition.

10. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2009

I did a few poetry lessons when I student taught in third grade. The lesson and type of poetry my class loved the most was onomatopoeia poetry. They enjoyed "playing" with the sounds and they also learned that not all poetry has to rhyme. They were all very expressive it and it was a joy to see them excited about poetry!

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jan 6, 2009

Teach personification -- kids are willing to see all sorts of things as human or human-like, and it's the kind of thing where you can go from gross physical characteristics (such as a car's headlights being referred to as eyes) to more subtle characterizations such as rain angrily drumming on a roof, to eventually more iconoclastic images attributing acts or emotions to objects one might not expect.