Need HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Kelly69, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Kelly69

Kelly69 New Member

Sep 5, 2010

Okay, so I have been reading posts on here for awhile and I have decided to post and get some opinions. I am a first year teacher and I have a self-contained class. The class was designed for low functioning students (6-8th grade). It really is an in between class to high for TMR class but to low for resource. Now what has happened is that it is the first year they have had this class so every teacher has used this as a “dumping” ground. So it has quickly become a “behavior” class. So here is my problem(s). First, I do not have an assistant and I have 11 behavior kids. Second, and more importantly some of these kids are truly low functioning. I have 3 or 4 that are functioning at a 4th – 6th grade level while the other 7 or 8 are at k-1st grade level. I keep shouting that these 3 or 4 are not in the LRE. I am struggling with curriculum because how do you teach reading, writing, grammar, phonics, health, science, social skills, etc. to such a diverse group of kids. I don’t know what group to focus on the higher functioning or the lower. My heart says lower but when I try to focus on lower the higher kids get out of control with boredom. My higher functioning kids really are the “behavior” issues in the class, but mostly because they really don’t belong. I feel like I am teaching slightly below them but way above the rest. So they are catching on the others need more time so these few kids have time to act out. Don’t get me wrong we have a good time, we learn, but when it’s bad…..it’s bad!!!! Does anyone have curriculum ideas or suggestions? FYI I got two that can’t read or write and the others barely can. I have a promethean and I use it all the time and my kiddos do as well. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!!

3. rmarie26

rmarie26 Rookie

Sep 5, 2010

Kelly,
    I have he same problems in my classroom. I struggled last year having to deal with behaivoral problems with the higher level students as well. It is very challenging sometimes to do whole group instruction because sometimes you have students that are so low they can't even do things independantly. Some body suggested giving each student a folder and having them work on things that are on thier level but I know from experience it can be hard to do that in ELA. I think that you could focus on the higher level students and the lower level students if you give them different lessons or things to work on or maybe work with them in small groups. I need some advice also on how I can change things this year. I can't believe you don't have an assistant. But I have been there before trust me. I wish you luck and if you get any feedback please share.

4. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 5, 2010

I'm also wondering why you don't have any assistants - that's insane. What you're going to have to do is heavily modify materials for the kids who are lower and do whole group instruction as much as you can. If the higher are getting bored, then pair them up with a lower for like a buddy system. Then when the higher are able to work independently on something, pull the lowers over to a small group table and work on math/reading. The lowers are really going to have a tough time with no extra help in the room. I feel your pain. :(

5. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

What state are you in? Are you considered a resource room?

I highly doubt that it's legal to have that many kids in a self-contained classroom without an aide!

In NJ, for an autism class, once you have more than 3 kids, you have to have an aide. Once you have more than 6 kids, you have to have another aide! They maintain a 1:3 ratio, always.

For Multiply Disabled Classes, the ratio is a bit higher, I believe you can have up to 8 kids before they require an aide. I think you can have up to 12 kids in a class with an aide.

But that many, no aide??

What are the kids classifications?

6. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Sep 5, 2010

do you have boardmaker? If not mayer johnson's website has a 30 day free trial and you can use the boardmakershare website to download already made files that other people posted on the site to share. Also here is a site with great ideas for task boxes:
    http://www.preschoolfun.com/pages/teacch.htm Also under the thread that is stickied at the top of this board called science and social studies resources there is a free adapted middle school science curriculum with different levels and over 21 chapters.

7. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 5, 2010

8 is the max amount of students fpr a Multiply Handicapped class in NJ, unless the district applies for a waiver that allows them to have a class of 12 (which adds another aide to the class, but they don't have to hire another teacher)

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

9. Kelly69

Kelly69 New Member

Sep 5, 2010

Thanks for all the posts, I will be trying the board maker. My state laws are similar to the NJ as listed above. I currently have a mix of emd, emr, mr, SLD (RC), SLD (MC, MR), AU, than one that is OHI (ADHD). All receive S/L. I am really rethinking on the way I have my class structured b/c it is not working to mine or the kids advantage which makes for long days and short weekends. Does anyone have similar disabilities have structure ideas? I think I am going to start a "Circle time" I am afraid some of my students will hate this but I think we can cover some good daily skills in that 15 - 20 minutes. Also any suggestions on some good phonics programs or websites? None of them read well if at all so phonics is a big thing for me that I want to keep incorporated and done daily. I would like to do a circle song without it being to childish since they are in middle school. Also what type of things are you guys doing for language arts? I am doing some spelling and ID of the dolch sight words and some basic reading comp.

10. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Sep 6, 2010

Your kids won't mind circle time if you call it something more age-appropriate like "morning focus" or "daily planning." Also since they're middle school kiddos (and you probably already know this, but just in case) you'll want them to sit in chairs and not on the floor.

I was lucky enough to get some new curriculum this year for lang. arts including "Practical Words," and a new favorite; "Edmark Functional Words." Of course mine are life skills kiddos and it really depends on their cognitive ability. I have one gal that's such a good reader, she goes to the transition room (one step "above" life skills) for reading. It took some schedule juggling on my part but we got it worked out.

11. dcnuck

dcnuck Companion

Sep 8, 2010

can you do music? I am used to teaching prek and they learn a lot through Jack Hartmann's cds. You might want to take a listen on his website. he does a lot of phonics