Need help passing the RICA. . .

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by moondoggie, Nov 1, 2017.

1. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Nov 1, 2017

Hi All,

I just received my test results from my first RICA attempt and I didn't pass. I got a 207 out of 220.

Here are the results from the following Domains:

Planning, Organizing, Managing Reading Instruction : ++
    Word Analysis : +++
    Fluency: ++
    Vocabulary, Academic Language, Background Knowledge: ++
    Comprehension: ++

Case Study (1,2,3,4,5): +

Case Study Improvement showed a need for improvement in the following areas:

Describing instructional startegies and/or activities

I used Teachers Test Prep Videos, Cliff Notes, Zarillos Book, and a few Distance Prep youtube videos.

I need some tips, hints, advice, anything that could help. I'm not discouraged yet but want to get help from others.

Thank you,

moondoggie :):peacesign:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2017

Welcome back to A to Z, moondoggie! Scoring 207 on one's first attempt at RICA isn't so bad, and that +++ in word analysis is a good sign.

Have you taken reading instruction methodology coursework? If so, was it recent?

Have you student taught? If so, was it general ed or special ed?

4. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Nov 2, 2017

Hi TeacherGroupie,

I took a reading methodology course 8-9 months ago in my credential program. . . my instructor wasn't the best with elaborating on details (mainly textbook and worksheet distribution) however not that much elaboration in class.

I have mainly sub-taught and taught fully in Spec Ed Moderate/Severe and Mild/Moderate classes. I currently teach a High School SDC Moderate/Severe class that entails life skills and functional skills. I am in my second year of my Moderate/Severe credential program. . .

moondoggie :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 3, 2017

Hm. RICA mostly presupposes general ed. Are any of the students in your SDC reading at, say, a fourth-grade level? How about second-grade? If so, what is characteristic of their reading? Or do you or any of your friends-and-relations have general-ed kids in the K-8 span? I'm trying to help you find actual kids to represent the skills and abilities you need to be able to identify.

What do you think fluency is? What are its components?

What's the difference between vocabulary and academic language?

Do you work on oral comprehension with your students?

6. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Nov 3, 2017

Hi TeacherGroupie,

Fluency is the student's ability to read and deliver information text, speech with very little mistakes. Academic language is the language of school and it is used in textbooks, essays, assignments, class presentations, and assessments. Academic language is used at all grade levels, although its frequency increases as students get older. Vocabulary is what a student know this entail Tier 1 and Tier 2 words (I believe on recall)

I work on oral comprehension with my students through short stories, chunking, front-loading, word walls and logs for students. The other part of my Special Ed department entails Mild/Moderate RSP students, and of course I have friends/colleagues that teach in General Ed.

A few of my students are able to read 2-3rd grade level. Sight words are a breeze and 5-6 letter words are tough for them, depending if they haven't seen the word a lot.

TeacherGroupie I'm trying to make this to the point because my phone is about die, and I wanted to get this post up. . .

Thank you,

moondoggie

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 5, 2017

You were indeed rather terse, moondoggie. Let me flesh out your characterization of fluency.

Fluency is not limited to informational text. It refers to the ability to read text (of any kind) without having to pause to puzzle out individual letters or words: literally, fluent reading is reading that flows smoothly. Of course it is possible to read fluently while reading silently - but as instructors we can't tell what's going on inside a student's head, so what we generally assess for fluency is oral reading fluency, otherwise known as reading aloud.

Fluency has three components. The first, accuracy, is the ability to identify letters in running text, map them onto the phonemes or phonograms they represent, and retrieve the word that results. The second component, automaticity, comes into play when the reader is no longer having to think about which letter goes with which phoneme; the fluent reader has developed a set of habits that make it possible to process text in larger chunks (rimes, syllables, and whole words) and so to read a sentence at more or less conversational speed. The third component, prosody, refers to how phrases and sentences sound: the reader with good prosody can read phrases and sentences aloud with appropriate intonation, and this ability depends on having developed sufficient accuracy and automaticity to be able to pay attention to sentence structure and punctuation. Reading fluency is something of a precondition for reading comprehension: it's difficult to comprehend a sentence when one is so busy decoding the end of it that one can no longer remember the beginning. (You probably see this with some of your students.)

"Tier 1" and "Tier 2" are indeed labels about vocabulary. What's the difference between them? Which tier would you expect to find in a decodable book, and why? In what way would it make sense to speak of the word "prosody" in the paragraph above as a Tier 3 word?

8. boomer88

boomer88 New Member

Jan 10, 2018

Hi everyone,
    I feel so distraught and broken. I have taken it six times and I just can’t pass it. I was so certain I passed this last time but I got a score of 216. My results were:
    Domain 1 ++++
    Domain 2 ++
    Domain 3 +++
    Domain 4 ++
    Domain 5 +++
    Case study +++
    They didn’t tell me any feedback or what I need to work on. These results look better than the previous time I took it in which I got a higher score. I don’t know what to do anymore. I have read, watched, study groups, memorized, etc and I just feel like I should just quit. My experience teaching has only been moderate severe special ed Autism.
    These are my results from my previous test that I scored better on
    Score 217 Domain 1 +++ Donain 2 ++ Domain 3 ++ Domain 4 +++ Domain 5 ++
    Case study ++
    Doesn’t it seem as if I received more stars this last time ?? But I got a 216?? I am so confused. At this point I just feel they want more and more money and fail you on purpose. I am just absolutely broken.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 11, 2018

Part of your problem is that you're giving away points in Domain II, Word Analysis, which accounts for about 1/3 of multiple-choice points (and rightly so: word analysis is huge).

Tell me what you're doing or have done as regards literacy with your students. If it has anything to do with language, tell me about it.

Then give me the overview: what do you think word analysis consists of?

10. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

Mar 8, 2018

Hi All,

I found out this evening I passed the RICA on my second try. I used DistancePrep Youtube videos, and a little of Zarillos Book on the Case Study part. I reviewed my notes from Teacher's Test Prep that I had from my first try at the RICA. My second test was February 24, 2018, and I started starting 3 weeks before everyday on areas that I knew I wasn't strong at. . . It worked. I also made notecards for alot of the vocabulary used in Reading Assessment.

My results consisted of:
    Domain 1: ++
    Domain 2:+++
    Domain 3:++
    Domain 4: +++
    Domain 5:++
    Case Study(1,2,3,4,5): +++

I want to thank everyone for their feedback, tips, and hints. . . I truly appreciate it! To those who need take and/or are struggling. . .YOU CAN DO IT!!!

moondoggie :):atoz_love:

11. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Mar 8, 2018

Congratulations! :celebrate:

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 8, 2018

Congratulations, moondoggie!

13. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

May 28, 2018

Thank you. . . futuremathsprof!

14. moondoggie

moondoggie Rookie

May 28, 2018

Thank you TeacherGroupie!

15. J-eazyy

J-eazyy Guest

May 30, 2018

I just received my rica scores today and I scored a 218, it was my first attempt. My supervisor from the University recommended that I request an appeal. Is the appeal worth it?
    I received:

Domain 2: ++
    Domain 3: +++
    Domain 4: +++
    Domain 5: ++

Case study: +++

16. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

May 31, 2018

I received my results and got a 216, Case study ++ and I felt as though I was so strong this time and it said that I lacked in instructional strategies which I completely studied for and felt good about. I'm really depressed about this.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 31, 2018

That's impressive for a first attempt, J-eazyy, especially in light of the number of points you have forgone in domains 2 and 5. Domain 2, word analysis, accounts for more points than any other domain - and rightly so, because it's so foundational in reading instruction. I think you'd be better served by strengthening your grasp on phonemic awareness, phonological awareness, phonics, and structural analysis than by pinning your hopes on score verification.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 31, 2018

Hugs, JBrand29. What exactly did the diagnostic say?

19. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

May 31, 2018

2: ++
    3: +++
    4: ++
    5: +++
    Case Study ++

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 31, 2018

No, sorry: I meant the specific diagnostic comment for the case study.

21. ZEP

ZEP Rookie

May 31, 2018

Can someone help me pass the Texes English exam 4-8. I have taken it twice. 1st attempt 5pts to pass 235 and I need 240. Last week I test again and got 224 out of 240

22. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

Describing instructional strategies/and or activities. I can't remember what I put now, but I felt very confident in my writing when I took the test, but less confident on the multiple choice.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2018

I thought so: the "describing" diagnostic is very, very widely reported.

When you describe an instructional strategy, describe it for fellow professionals. If your strategy is a personal word wall, you don't need to explain (as you might for a parent, say) that it isn't actually a wall, but the way you talk about it should make it possible for the professional who knows the personal word wall under a different name to recognize what you're talking about, and to recognize that you know what a personal word wall is for. Furthermore - and this is important - your description should show the personal word wall in action: if the artifacts you've analyzed show that the student has trouble distinguishing "eight" from "ate", then the description of the personal word wall incorporates "eight" and "ate" (and you can use technical terms such as "homophone", "phonics generalization", and "non-decodable sight word"). If the version of a personal word wall that you're invoking involves colors strategically - green ink for nouns versus purple ink for prepositions, say, or goldenrod-colored paper for science words versus aqua paper for social studies - then your description includes the professional's-eye story of how that works, with perhaps a sentence about why it makes sense to use color. (No, you don't have to justify particular color choices. But it helps to have a reason for using color that's more defensible in reading-instruction terms than "Because my mentor teacher did it that way.")

futuremathsprof likes this.
  24. ZEP

ZEP Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

Can someone help me pass the English 4-8 Texes exam. I took it twice

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2018

This is a thread about a different test, ZEP. Discussions of TExES English 4-8 and other states' tests that cover similar ground are in the Single Subject Tests subforum.