Need Help/Opinions ASAP!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JXG, Aug 18, 2016.

1. JXG

JXG Rookie

Aug 18, 2016

Hey guys!

So, I went on an interview this past Tuesday for a charter school teacher position and they offered me the job a few hours later (YAY!) I was about to head to the HR department, when my friend from my last school district (public school) texted me about an opening for my old job. I got RIF'd last year from there, but I'm inclined to look into this opening. The kicker: I need to figure out what to do within an hour because I'm supposed to meet with HR sometime today with my final decision. I haven't gotten a call from my old district about it since they just posted the position on Applitrack yesterday. I want to call them to see what's up. Now, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but if they said they would take me back, should I take the charter school job where I'm guaranteed a position and it's tenure track, but not a great location, and bad commute, OR my old school district, where I'm very familiar with the cultures there and loved my supervisor, but uncertain if they would RIF me again? What would you do?

PS: I had no idea what the position was for, until they told me it was for a technology teacher for grades K-6....in my old district, I was 6th grade science

3. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Aug 18, 2016

I know around here if you are RIF'd and your job becomes available within one year they HAVE to offer it to you. Are you in a union?

4. JXG

JXG Rookie

Aug 18, 2016

Yes, I am

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 18, 2016

Agreed. I'm surprised they haven't called you back yet. I would go and call them and see what's up.

6. Kellie McGrath

Kellie McGrath Companion

Aug 18, 2016

Definitely call them. Check your old contract and contact the union as well

7. JXG

JXG Rookie

Aug 18, 2016

Thanks so much for the speedy responses! I'll let you know how it goes! :)

8. JXG

JXG Rookie

Aug 23, 2016

UPDATE: So, my old job is total bullcrap! I spoke with my supervisor who informed me that I still had to apply like a new applicant. So, I did. I signed my contract with the charter school, so I at least have a job. Then, a few days later, I get a call from my supervisor, asking me if I was interested in meeting with them for an "interview". I decided to entertain this and I went after my orientation. They said they needed to choose someone that day and had already interviewed two others. Needless to say, I thought they would've been interested in me coming back, but they never called after the meeting. Maybe because when they asked me if I had any questions for them, I addressed the elephant in the room (the probability of me getting rif'ed). I guess they didn't like that. Whatever! Screw em! A whole new chapter awaits.

WindyCityGal606 likes this.
  9. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 24, 2016

I'm still confused as to why they didn't offer you the position once it opened again since it was a RIF. I thought they had to call back teachers who previously held the position first.

10. JXG

JXG Rookie

Aug 24, 2016

I know. They never called me to let me know about the opening. According to my supervisor, they had to post the position on applitrack and leave it there for 10 days. He said for me to apply but there was no guarantees...EVERYONE has an equal shot (his words)

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2016

It sounds like your contract doesn't grant you right of refusal or right of first return. That's too bad. I hope you enjoy the charter school and that it's a better fit.