Need Help on Praxis ENG 0042!

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by english9teach, Nov 10, 2009.

1. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Nov 10, 2009

I've taken the Content Knowledge section of the test and passed. However, the Essay test has thrown me for a loop. I've failed it twice and am gearing up to take it a third time. I really need some guidance as to what they are looking for. I feel that I have the knowledge but, somehow, I am not quite giving them what they want on the essay. Does anyone have any advice or helpful websites?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2009

What have you been doing to prepare in the past? How close have you been coming to the magic number to pass? And what, if anything, do your score reports say about where you're getting stuck?

4. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Nov 10, 2009

The first time I missed it by 5 points. The second time, I actually did worse, missing the mark by 10. The score reports show I struggle on the first and second question, in which one must read a passage and identify how certain literary devices point toward a theme. I do fairly well on the rhetorical question (could be better) and I do well on the defend-a-position question. I had bought the book from ETS and practiced. The last time, I really thought I aced it and was crushed to get back bad results.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 10, 2009

Sounds like you need to bone up on your literary devices, then. You may find Elmer's glossaries useful (see the thread "Elmer's English resources" in this subforum), and I might also recommend the SparkCharts on poetry and on literary theory.