Need help on challenging a Pre-Ker!!!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by leannwade, Jan 31, 2008.

1. leannwade

leannwade Rookie

Jan 31, 2008

I have a student who is doing very well in my classroom. She is on a kindergarten level, and she is my advanced group. She is beginning to read and write simple words. Her mother is really wanting me to challenge her also. She requests more homework, because I "only sent 3 worksheets home." She comes in each morning letting me know that her child is now spelling o-n-e, t-w-o, etc. etc. I want to challenge her, but I don't feel like busy work is the key; however, her mother thinks piling on the homework is necessary. She is able to sit at home and work with her child constantly, which I am TRULY grateful for, but I am looking for some ideas to challenge this child. Should I pull her aside during worktime (centers)??? Help!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2008

Maybe you could make or get some challenging activities to send home with the student that her and mother could work on together.

4. MimiBee

MimiBee Companion

Feb 1, 2008

You can also research some websites that offer printable worksheets/activities to refer to the parent.

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Feb 1, 2008

Give the girl a Journal (Mead-type composition book). Have her draw and phonetically write something every day. She can "write" about experiences from her everday life, places she's visited, fiction, etc. Work with her to add more details, sound out words, include feelings, etc.

6. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2008

I feel sorry for you. I've had that happen. While it's nice to have students who can excel above the others, it's not so nice when parents start putting pressure on you to challenge her.
    If the girl truly enjoys the homework, I would give her Kindergarten level work packets. Give her a copy of Kindergarten sight words so her mom can help her learn these.
    I would tell mom that the most important part of Pre-K is socializing and that even though she might not recognize it, her daughter is growing emotionally as she interacts with her peers. Instead of giving her "different" projects in class, I would let her do the same as the rest and suggest that she thinks of ways to add words and numbers to her work. Usually, the advanced student will do that anyway. For example, if your students are painting frogs, explain the different types of frogs. Talk about their colors and characteristics. Help her write something down about her project. Journaling is an excellent way to do this. Give them all notebooks and let them draw and write. See what she can do on her own(without those sometimes boring worksheets.) Let mom know the value of her learning this way versus worksheets. Let her be creative on her own.

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 1, 2008

If you have a program like Reader Rabbit, that would be good to put her on. It advances as they advance... it gets more challenging as it goes along.

8. monica

monica Comrade

Feb 3, 2008

When I have one like this (usually it's at least 2 though and that helps) I try to pull them over once a week to do one extra thing. I do that with all the levels though, so it's not out of the ordinary. Just a few minutes.

I think the sending home a packet of homework is an excellent idea. Just give it to her for a few weeks at the time, explain of course that it should NOT be done all at one time. I also love the idea of adding to whatever they are doing. Fantastic idea!

For an added journaling thing sometimes I cut out (or have the kids) fun different advertisements from magazines. Then have the child write a story or just few words about what they think is happening in the photo. It's fun! I also do this with small groups of all the kids. Get the funny picture and then let one start the story, add to the story one kid/one sentence at a time. (on chart paper) It's fun to make up group stories like that. Then we read them in large group time. Sometimes I'll scan the picture and type up the story, then send it home for everyone to share with their families.