Need help lining up!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by luvteaching25, Oct 2, 2007.

1. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Hi everyone!

So it is more than a month into school and both of my classes continue to have trouble lining up. I ask all of them to put their hands behind their back, but then some of them walk slow which backs up the line when we are trying to leave. This is especially worse when we are lining up for dismissal. I call them up one by one, but they still manage to get out of line and talk! UGH!!

Does anyone have any ideas??

3. sherlockholmes

sherlockholmes Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Instead of having them put both hands behind their back try having them put one behind their back and the other with a finger over their mouths. I do this with my 3 year olds and it works great.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2007

One hand on your hip, finger on your lip.

5. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Thanks for the tips, but everyone at the school has to put their hands behind their back.

It's a rule

6. sherlockholmes

sherlockholmes Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

Maybe try the quiet game. And the ones that can stay the quietest get a sticker or a special prize? Its just an idea.

7. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Oct 2, 2007

I dont have a talking issue as much as a pushing and touching issue. So this is what I did. I drew a picture of a mom with a grocery cart standing in line at the grocery store on the chalk board. Most all children have been to the grocery store with their mother. Then we talked about how their mom behaves at the store. "Does she push the person in front of her?" NO!!! said the kids. "Does she touch and poke the person in front or behind her?" NO!!! said the kids. How about talking really loud and being rude at the grocery store? Now when it looks like the line is getting out of control I just have to ask them to stand in line like at a grocery store. IT WORKED :mellow:

8. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 2, 2007

I talk about the TEAM. I say "toes" and they stomp their feet with their toes facing forward. I say "eyes" and they put their eyes forward. I say "arms" and they slap their arms down to the side. I say, "mouths" and they take a deep breath and close their mouths. They like it because it's like their in the military and we live close to an army base. T oes E yes A rms M ouths and acronym for team.

9. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Oct 3, 2007

I asked this question last year and someone provided this poem:
    "Nose and toes are towards the door
    Feet are planted on the floor
    Hands at your side ( or behind your back) and talk no more
    We're ready to walk to the......."

We recite this everytime we line up and they become very reverent. I don't know why, but it works!!!

10. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Oct 3, 2007

We play a game of if you are ready to go : place your hands on your head, if your are ready to go out put your hands on your hips and so on . My mixed age group loves it.

11. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2007

I always had the lil ones put marshmallow shoes & mittens on. Then I pretended to throw them one to keep in their mouths while were in the hall.