Need help getting student's attention

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by JenK26, Dec 14, 2010.

1. JenK26

JenK26 Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

Hello, I was hired to be the lead teacher of a 4 year old class. The kids have been through a lot of changes lately but I am trying really hard to bring some order and structure in the room. There are 17 kids in the class and some days I have all 17 kids. I am having a hard time sometimes getting their attention when I need them to pay attention for circle or when I just need to give them directions. I have tried all my lil tricks...1,2,3 eyes on me...if you can hear me touch your nose or I do a clapping pattern and they repeat it. Does anyone have some advice for me? I am really struggling to gain their attention at times and sometimes I feel like I keep repeating myself. I would really appreciate some advice and help. Thanks!

Jen

3. amyg

amyg Rookie

Dec 14, 2010

I like the whole brain method of me saying "Class" and they all stop and say "Yes". Google whole brain teaching to see more.

4. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Dec 15, 2010

Have you tried gushing with praise for anyone who does listen to your transitions? I noticed that for my 17 all it takes is me saying, "Oh look at the way Austin is listening. You are amazing!! Two snaps and a wow for you." Then all of the others will listen to because they want praise. Then I lavish all of them with praise. Slowly overtime they stop needing the praise and listen because it becomes habit.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Dec 17, 2010

Use a puppet, I guarantee you will get their attention. Also, try having the puppet give the directions.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Dec 17, 2010

If they have been through a lot of changes it may take them awhile to adjust. Treat it like it is September. Practice what you want them to do- if you can- role play with another adult etc.

7. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 17, 2010

I can get the attention of a lunchroom full of students with:

"if you can hear my voice, clap twice. If you can hear my voice, clap twice. If you can hear my voice, show me tiger stance." I start out loud and get down to a whisper. Whenever we need to get everyone'e attention, I am the one who does it.

The other thing that works for me is clapping a pattern and having the kids finish it. I might clap my hands, my thighs, or my elbows in the pattern. That works well for me.

8. knutcase

knutcase New Member

Dec 19, 2010

I worked in an inner city after school program. Many times the other teachers would run to their classes to prep or take breaks leaving me with a gym of 250 kids from 4-12. They were separated in the bleacher according to gender and age but it was still difficult when I had to give messages. I let out a loud "YO!" and stood there with my hand up. Gradually they got their hands up and their mouths shut. I had never told them to raise their hands but they got the idea and it is hard to have a conversation with someone when your arm is in the air. I would not speak over them and I would state we can sit until your ready I have all day. Peer pressure worked because they wanted to get to the next activity and sitting waiting on me to talk was not what they wanted to do. I did not raise my voice after the first "YO!" so they had to be quiet to hear me.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010