Need help getting caught up :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mburd12, Jul 5, 2017.

1. mburd12

mburd12 Guest

Jul 5, 2017

Hi! I graduated in 2015 with a BA in elementary ed. However I went to early childhood and have spent the past 2 years in a Head Start teaching preschool. I just moved to Washington state and am realizing that I am kind of out of the loop, especially concerning "hot topics." For example, in school I was still learning about NCLB and now see that it's ESSA. I know this is a super broad question, but anything you can tell me would be really helpful. Thank you!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 5, 2017

That's right...your question is super broad. Can you be a little more specific...what do you want to teach, do you want to continue your education...

4. MichelleH

MichelleH Rookie

Jul 7, 2017

Yes, things are happening on a national level, (there is a US Department of Ed newsletter for teachers that you can subscribe to here called The Teacher's Edition--I'm not being allowed to link the URL)
    but more importantly for you, you might want to look at what's happening a little more locally.

I suggest scouring your state's department of education page, along with any state or local union webpages in your area. Those might give you some clues about what sorts of things have been happening on a state and local level.

Then, just start checking out some school district websites. Google is your best friend!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 7, 2017

NPR has a great education news section. You might want to check there and start looking through the archives.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 28, 2017

Get in twitter and start following local superintendents, teachers, and then follow the people they follow. You'll be amazed about the wealth of information and news passed around.