Need help....FTCE K-6 Exam

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Stefanie05, Jun 29, 2005.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

That sounds insane, all right.

Different styles of angles, meaning acute, right, obtuse, straight, and reflex, plus complementary and supplementary?

2. forbiddenpluto

forbiddenpluto Companion

Jul 10, 2006

Yup. That would be it!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2006

In case you still want to know:

Acute means 'pointy': an acute angle measures less than 90 degrees.

Right comes from Latin rectus 'upright': it's a square corner, if you will, and it measures 90 degrees.

Obtuse is 'dull': an obtuse angle measures more than 90 degrees but less than 180 degrees.

Straight is what it says it is: a straight line. It measures 180 degrees, and it's what the three interior angles of a triangle add up to.

Reflex comes from the Latin for 'bent back': a reflex angle measures more than 180 degrees. Imagine a fresh cherry pie from which one slice has been taken: the missing slice (unless someone's being a total pig) could be represented by an acute angle, and the rest of the pie could be represented by a reflex angle.

Two or more complementary angles add up to 90 degrees. If two people take pieces of that pie so that 3/4 of the pie remains, the pieces that they took could be represented by complementary angles.

Two or more supplementary angles add up to 180 degrees, or a straight line. If half the pie is gone, the pieces that made it up could be represented by supplementary angles.

4. tashiathomas

tashiathomas New Member

Jul 11, 2006

Study Group

Anyone interested in starting a study group in Broward or Palm Beach for the FTCE K-6?

5. jess782

jess782 Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

I am in Broward County!

I would love to! After the 26th of July would be good for me. I am taking my last class for my BS degree.
    Let me know!

Jess

6. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 12, 2006

Have you thought about getting a copy of the study guide that was on the UCF website...I heard it was helpful..good luck with the test.

7. amelia7

amelia7 Rookie

Jul 18, 2006

How did you study for the social studies and science part? Is it primarily all factual knowledge????

8. myneiaka

myneiaka New Member

Jul 19, 2006

There is a book available from marquismediagroup.com/home.htm. I owe passing the FTCE to this book. It is a lot of information to digest, but if you study hard you will pass. I was not an Education Major and it helped tremendously. Good Luck!
    Myneiaka

9. amelia7

amelia7 Rookie

Jul 19, 2006

Iactualy looked at this site last week; but did not have the time to wait for the book to come in the mail. I am taking the test on Sat....I purchased one of the egudies from teachingsolutions.com and have used it primarily for the practice questions.
    I really am wondering if their success system is going to help me pass. I just hope that I can get through this on the first try. Thanks for your help.

Do you know anyone who has had good luck with the teachingsolutions.com or org?? guides??

10. myneiaka

myneiaka New Member

Jul 19, 2006

I never heard of that method, but I hope that it works for you.

11. ashli

ashli Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

cripes, people! i just took the confounded exam this a.m., and i feel like i've been involved in a train wreck! i'm 35, a former teacher, passed another version of this exam 11 years ago, wrote a book on a medical illness without any formal training in medicine and have felt generally competent... until today. i entered the exam room a confident woman and exited a deflated moron. i hate to sound negative, but i am convinced the test is a sham concocted to weed good people out of teaching careers. from having been a certified teacher (who let her certificate lapse due to prolonged, serious illness) to being an involved homeschool teacher, i fully believe that the ftce k-12 test taker could score perfectly and still not be a good teacher while someone who scored 20% could be the best teacher in the world. i SAY! what a worthless waste of time the fdoe's study guide was! i don't know if i passed or failed yet, but after that miserable experience, i'm guessing i don't WANT to know! lol! i'm going to look into the aforementioned books and reschedule test number 2 asap. criminy! for pete's sake, i was only taking the test to avoid the $45 annual evaluation fee (for homeschooling my son), but now i can see myself shelling out multiple purses of $40 for repeated attempts at passing this demonic document!!! actually... that's kind of funny if you think about it! LOL!!! :)

12. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 22, 2006

Hi, I agree with you the K-6 is a crazy test. I have taken the test before actually three times and I have decided not to try again. I took the K-3 and I passed on the first try. The K-6 test is a mess it's not testing the teacher on methods of how to teach reading, science, or math. The K-6 test is just factual base which I think is not fair to the test taker.

I don't think that test is a good teacher assessment....don't feel bad if you think you have failed.

Try the other books that was suggested by the previous posters.

Good luck...

Oh, in my opinion that is a test from hell..lol

13. ashli

ashli Rookie

Jul 22, 2006

LOL! thanks for the commiseration!

14. qathleen

qathleen New Member

Jul 23, 2006

Way to study

I couldn't find a good study guide for the SAE K-6 either. What I did find was a series of books at my public library that were great! They are all by E. D. Hirsch, Jr. They are titled "What your First Grader needs to know", "What Your Second Grader...", Third Grader ect. up to Sixth Grade. Each book is about 330 pages and each is very entertaining and easy to read and remember. It only took a day or two to read each book. I took the test last week and passed on my first try.

There were a lot of questions on the test that I only knew because of these books. I took the test on the computer at a testing center so I don't know my actual score yet. If your local library doesn't have them, then try any local school that you have contacts in. My daughter's principal has the entire set in her office. These books were so good that I plan on buying them with my first teacher paycheck...once I get hired, lol.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

The Hirsch books can work well. General-knowledge books from Dorling Kindersley, Usborne, Kingfisher, and other good children's publishers can also be fine choices - where possible, it makes sense to look at the book(s) BEFORE buying, so you can ascertain whether the book works for you. And an advantage of going with books that aren't test prep books as such is that they'll be useful in your classroom afterward.

16. ashli

ashli Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Question

How many have taken a gander at The Best Test Prep: Subject Area Exam K-6 by Anita Price Davis? Was it very helpful for taking the exam?

17. Pannsx4

Pannsx4 Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

I have purchased that book. It is published by REA. It is alot of information but I think it is helpful. Of course, I wont know until tomororw afternooon. I have taken the test once last week but because of technical difficulities with the computer I get to take it again. It was a good means of creating note cards for me. But to be honest, the practice test is not really that great. I dont think it is a good representation of what to expect on the real test.

18. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

I am just curious but before your technical diffiuculties were you able to view any questions, or have you started the test....

I think that's a wow...you get to do it again

19. ashli

ashli Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

how did it go? did the book help you pass?

20. jack

jack New Member

Aug 22, 2006

I could use the extra study material.

I could use the practice question. I am going to take the test inOct.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2006

Try looking here: http://reach.ucf.edu/~ftce/. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for sample questions for the previous version of the test, and not quite so far for sample items for the current version. Make sure also to check the General Study Ideas. The Competencies are here too, and would be well worth a look: use them as a shopping list of stuff to look up on Answers.com or Google.

22. ashli

ashli Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

It is crazy. It is insane. IT IS CRAZY-INSANE!!! But I got my test results back and... I PASSED! I don't know how I did it, but it's done and over with and God willing I will never let my certificate lapse again! No telling what they will come up with ten years from now. Probably have to also pass some kind of Presidential fitness exam to boot, and if you are not limber enough to join a Russian circus, YOU FAIL! So I will be taking online community college courses (in lieu of inservice hours) til the cows come home... cuz I ain't nev-uh takin' this test again!!!! YEEEEEE-HA!

23. ashli

ashli Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

P.S.
    I didn't study anything but the $5 practice exam. I didn't feel that it did much for me. The only area that I felt to be helpful was the math practice. I never fully advanced in math, so in addition to review, I needed a great deal of boning up. I looked a TON up, re: math, on the Web. One thing to do is to paste the exact math problem/question in your search engine, and chances are it's on a board with an explanation somewhere. I found out how to do quite a few of the problems that way. Also, spend 10 minutes on a Stephen Foster bio and you'll probably get a few "Caspers" on the exam. ("Caspers" are EASILY-BAGGED questions.) Know a few "endearing" things (like the Stephen Foster info) related to Florida.

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2006

ashli, my dear, anyone who can get through a test like this by looking up a ton of math, figuring out how to game the search, and locating the "Caspers" (I call 'em "gumdrops") deserves to pass - and don't you forget it, please.

Go celebrate YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENT properly, willya?

25. Pannsx4

Pannsx4 Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

I actually nearly completed the test but it didnt score correctly before we had techinical difficulties. The power went out during the test.

When I took the test the second time, I passed.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2006

There are disadvantages to computer scoring... but all's well that ends well, no?

27. Cherie

Cherie Rookie

Oct 8, 2006

Adria HELP!!!!

Hello!!!
    I am 36 and decided to make a career chage after staying home for 11 years with my children! I have been subbing in the School system for over a year and would really like to continue down this path!!!
    I am a terrible test taker and just failed the k-6 test for the second time yesterday... I used useless study guides and my kids text books!!! The information is just so broad!! How does anyone pass? I missed passing by 3 points the first time. I do not have the score for this time. I took it on the computer and just received the dreadful.... NOT PASS.... message!!! :(

I decided to search the internet for help! I saw your post... You failed 3 times and PASSED the prek-3 on the first try! That gave me a great idea! I really do not want to teach anything higher than 3rd grade, so I should try your method!!! :) Is it easier? Any suggestions on how I should prepare???? What is the main difference between the k-6 and the prek-3? Thanks so much for any advice!!!

Have a great day!
    Cheri

28. tea3781

tea3781 New Member

Oct 17, 2006

Im am changing my career from business into teaching. It has always been an interest of mine to teach so I have decided to go that route. The funny thing is that I already have a school that is very interested in me here in Lake, County florida...they want me to start right away however their are certification issues.

I signed up to take my Middle School Math 5-9 test for this Saturday October 21st. I signed up months ago and have been studying for it. I interviewed at a school yesterday and they want me to for a 6th grade position (which means that I have to take reading). This means that I would have to take the K-6 Elementry Ed exam. I decided to sign up for it last night and take the test today at UCF...I figured how hard could it be. I bought and printed out a study guide online and realized it was much harder...it had alot to do with teaching strategies, and methods...most of which I hardly know anything about.

I dont really have a desire to teach Elementry School...but it was something I would have to do if I wanted this position. I know I will fair much better on the Middle School Math test. The principal has gone ahead and asked the county if she can hire me with the Math certification (as long as I pass) and give me a year to take the reading. So we will see what happens...

29. Cherie

Cherie Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

I am sorry! I know how you feel!!! I am also a business major!!! Double major!!! I thought how hard can a K-6 test be????? It is crazy isn't it!! I am convinced it is a another money maker!!! :) I have decided to take the pre-k - 3rd grade test... and the k-6 one more time... If I fail both of these maybe I should stick to business!!! :)

It is too bad!!! I love kids and really enjoy teaching elementry! I have had a lot of experience subbing over the last year and a half, but I have to pass that test to get hired.... Oh well, hopefully you'll get hired!!! :)

Cheri

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 18, 2006

What areas of FTCE seem to be giving you grief?

31. Cherie

Cherie Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

K-6... I have not taken the prek-3 yet.... I am going to take it in the spring... I will be out of town for the Jan session.

Any advice?????
    Cheri

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 18, 2006

No, sorry: I meant, which subject areas?

33. Cherie

Cherie Rookie

Oct 18, 2006

oh, I don't know, I thought I did good and I guess I did not... I failed the first time by 3 points, so I am waiting to see what it was by this time. Unfortunately, I can not tell where I really went wrong... They do not tell you which sections you failed... It is all or none! The physical ed, art, music part was easy, mostly common sense... I think history and science gets me!!! I love math, but geometry killed me...

34. Cherie

Cherie Rookie

May 27, 2007

YEAH!!! I PASSED!!! :)

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2007

Congrats!!!!

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2007

Splendid, Cherie! Don't forget to celebrate your accomplishment!

37. awalt003

awalt003 New Member

Jun 14, 2007

Im scared now!

I'm planning to take the test at the end of June and i bought the "Ftce Elementary Education K-6 Test (Rea)". I have read almost the whole book and I'm studying like 3 hrs. minimum everyday from that book and now I'm reading all of this posts and I getting so scared! I'm a Psychology major and I've never taken any Education class... but I've worked with kids most of my life, giving therapy and working at a preschool.

Please can somebody tell me where can I get all of that terminology for the L.A. part? I've studyied a couple from the book but I've been reading these posts and I've seen some that I have never ever imagined that existed!

Please somebody help me as soon as possible I only have 2 more weeks to keep studying!:eek:

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

39. Cherie

Cherie Rookie

Jun 16, 2007

Hello!
    GOOD LUCK!!! If you are good at history, science, math, Language arts and social studies you will be fine!!! Seriously, if you are right out of college you should be fine... I was out of college for 15 years and just could not remember all that detail... I missed by a small margin... I took the pre3/k-3 test and past without too much trouble.. That test is more about concepts of teaching... the k-6 is about knowledge.... best of luck to you!
    Cheri

40. awalt003

awalt003 New Member

Jun 19, 2007

Thanks! I'll keep studying and will let you know how I did! Hopefully I'll pass the test, and soon start working!! :angel: