Need help from creative minds!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AngelM, Jul 4, 2007.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

I am required to post the curriculum standards for the week in my classroom. I am trying to come up with a creative way of doing this. Maybe a slogan that has something to do with "standards", some kind of graphic . . . Like a bulletin board, I suppose. I just want it to be a little more second-grade friendly than simply hanging the standards up with the word "standards."

Any ideas?? :)

3. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 4, 2007

I wrote up my K standards on sentence strips, using kid-friendly language. I laminated them, and placed them at the top of our name chart (one per week). There is a pointer in the pocket too, and when students come in to turn their names around, they can use the pointer and read alone or read together, the "standard of the week." I also include this standard in the weekly newsletter, so parents visiting the classroom see some continuity. I usually read it through with my Kinders the first time, and it's fun to watch them try to remember or sound out the words!

(Of course, because most of them don't read until later in the year, I don't start this right away. But you could!)

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2007

We don't have to do that here in CT but if I did, I might write something like... Look at what we're learning! Keep it in a pocket chart or section of the whiteboard that doesn't have to keep being erased etc. :)

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 4, 2007

I write all my standards on sentence stips and display in a pocket chart. You might check with your school before you call them something other than "standards." At my school, they want the students to know the term standards and what it means---the principal will come into the classroom and ask students what standards they are working on.

6. Pigger

Pigger Companion

Jul 5, 2007

a few years ago, i sort of did something similar for open house....

i made a bulletin board with the title....getting to the core of third grade.

i then had an apple border......and apples (some whole, some half, some with a bite taken out) and each apple was a subject. on each apple, i wrote the unit of studies we would be completing that year. my bulletin board also had worms.

it was cute. i dont think anyone really took the time to look at it, but if they did, they would have agreed it was cute too!

i got it out of a carson dellosa bulletin board book.

good luck.

7. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

What about a newspaper themed BB? If you used old newspapers as a background you could post your standards for the week on that. A slogan might by "Extra, Extra..."

8. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Great ideas! Thanks so much - I knew I could get some help here :)

We do have to include the word "standards" in there somewhere, but I'm sure I could incorporate an additional slogan/title into the bulletin board. I just want to make it more appealing to 2nd graders.