Need help for my student

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Teacherforgood, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Teacherforgood

Teacherforgood New Member

Aug 25, 2009

Hi Everybody,

I teach preschool. I have a problem that I have to say, that I have never encountered before, even though I have taught for years. Here's my problem...

I have a student (4 years old) who is learning the alphabet. Now, we cover the alphabet everyday and I noticed that as we are going through them there are some that he does not know. I decided to give him some individual attention on this. When I did I was able to pinpoint the letters that he was having problem remembering, the letter "B" being one of them. Now we went over B several times and literally 5 seconds later, he could not remember what it was.* I observed to see if he has trouble hearing and I've seen no signs of that.* He does have some speech issues ex. his "R's" sound like "W's", "G" sounds like "Z" but nothing that seems too serious.*
    The funny thing is this, there were about 8 to 10 letters that I set aside because he couldn't remember.* We reviewed and still not very much progress.* BUT!!!* When I mixed those letters back in with the rest, laid them out at about 6 at a time, and then asked him to point to the letter that I called out, he got every letter right!!* So, he cannot remember some letters when I ask him to recite them but if I say the letter and ask him to identify it, he gets it right every time!*
    I'm not sure what this means.* Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance,

Teacherforgood

3. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Aug 25, 2009

maybe he is a visual learner so he can remember the shape of the letter when you use it's name but since he does not remember by hearing he is having trouble remembering letter "names". If you are having him say the names he may be confused. But when he sees the letter he can then recall it's name. Maybe textile letters that he can touch would help. Or maybe he would benefit from letters being associated with bright pictures.

I taught phonics for a long time and this is common. It is like trying to teach an adult a foreign alphabet that uses weird symbols and then asking them to not only know the name of the letters but their shape too. It becomes confusing and if the child is not that interested in letters to begin with, it makes it that more challenging for them to remember.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2009

I had a similar situation a few years ago and as the child progressed they discovered she had a processing problem with short-term memory. She had been drug exposed in utero and they think part of her brain is damaged or missing.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 25, 2009

He might be a developmentally young 4 and not ready to learn.

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 25, 2009

Yes, all of those reasons. But please remember that the ability to choose the item, is called "selection" and the abiltiy to identify the letter of sequence is called "letter identification". So you child has mastered the selection---celebrate it. If he is happy with what he is learning, is ready to deal with the information, and is typically developing (which it sounds like he totally is) he will move this information from the input to the output and you will be fine.

Don't worry. Just keep doing it all both ways and add in more min of alternate ways to learn. Perhaps your methods are not his personal learning preference. He will get it, and so will you.

7. Teacherforgood

Teacherforgood New Member

Aug 25, 2009

Thank you all

Thank you so much teacherR, Blue,and WaProvider. I knew this had to be a normal progression, I just had not encountered it before. Just wanted to check in with some other professionals to be certain. Thank you also, scmom, I'll keep that in mind but I don't think that is his situation.

I am going over ideas on how to present information to him. I know he is ready to learn this. I am providing encouragement and celebrating his accomplishments. He loves that. He just grins and grins. I have noticed also that he seems more interested in math and does quite well in grasping the basics of it.

I feel much better now. I know we both will be fine.

Thanks Again!