Need help for direction of home childcare

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MsAnn, Feb 16, 2007.

1. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Feb 16, 2007

I am interested in possibly starting my own childcare at home... I think it may be more financially wise for me, however I am new to Virginia and don't know the laws or know where to look.

Can anyone with experience help me out with where to start?

3. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Feb 16, 2007

You need to get a copy of your state's Minimum Standards which basically tells you everything you need to start your own home daycare. For instance, I needed a Fire Inspection, electrical smoke detectors, and a commercial fire extinguisher. Also a fenced in yard is a must here (in Alabama) and there is a certain amount of toys you gotta have. Also I needed 32 sq. feet per child and cots-no sleeping mats. But these are just some examples of what I needed, your state may be different. I am pretty sure you'll need a Background check and a TB test, a physical, and CPR/first aid training for infants and children. Also you will need proof of training.
    Let me know how it goes!! Good luck!!

4. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Feb 17, 2007

I am also a home childcare provider and the state laws vary. Contact your county licensing offices. Usually they will have a class you can take (free) as an intro to home childcare. They will probably give you a list of the rules and guidelines, and my state is very specific. Before I started I had to have new windows put in, a self closing door to my attached garage, and the fire inspector advised that I sheet rock underneath my stairs for fire safety. I also had to fence in my backyard. Not to mention the toys, gathering curriculum, art supplies, furniture, etc. You are also required to take training every year (a certain number of hours) that needs to be documented, like SIDS and Vehicle Safety Restraint training if you will be transporting the children-like for field trips, or taking older kids to school. You may also want to be insured (sometimes, like if you have a certain kind of dog, your insurance may be higher or harder to get) and you'll definately want to get an EIN number for your new business (for taxes-so you won't have to give everyone your SS number). Are you ready for the parents who bring in sick kids, no diapers, come early, pick up late, "forget" to pay you for the week? Destructive kids who try to break everything in your house? It can be frustrating at times. For me it's the bookkeeping that drives me insane (but then again-I'm not the best with figures). I don't mean to scare you off of doing home childcare, because I LOVE it! Although it is a challenging business, it is also very rewarding and fulfilling-and I make much more money than I did working at a preschool for someone else. If you love children and want to make a great place for them to be, then go for it! Best of luck to you!

5. Miss.S

Miss.S New Member

Feb 18, 2007

need help with a new child daycare

You might want to set up your own rules such as you can't come pick up your child late unless you notify me or so, and you can't pay one week late, take your money in advance to stay away of things like that. I didn't open mine yet because I have to take my state exam but these will be my rules! Wish me luck you guys.
    And good luck to everybody.

6. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Feb 18, 2007

Good luck Miss S. I too have those rules at my home childcare, but the parents do not always heed them. When I've had to be very direct with some of the "deadbeat" parents who wouldn't pay, they would just walk out and leave me holding the bag. One family owes me over $1,000.00. Not that much money, but to ME it is. Now I have a rule that if they haven't paid by the morning of the third day of care-they are not allowed into my care. I have a whole handbook of rules that I have them sign in addition to the registration forms.

7. LissiaLou

LissiaLou Rookie

Feb 18, 2007

I have a contract entitled Policies and Procedures that everyone signs at the time of Enrollment. I also have the "Brita Rule" (Named after the Parent that left me owing over $300) which states: If You don't Pay, You don't Stay! This rule simply means that you need to have your payment 1st thing Monday morning, or the child isn't allowed to stay. That way, you don't have to worry about charging late fees or stressing out about being stiffed-You get your money on day one-period, no exceptions. This has worked great for me. Also, I recently had to update my contracts saying that Drop-Ins may pay ONLY in CASH. I was getting alotta bounced checks from Drop-Ins and it would take me weeks to track them down and get my money. Make sure to cover everything in your contract and/or Parent Guide.