Need help for cbest writing

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Sandra310, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Sandra310

Sandra310 New Member

Jun 26, 2019

I’m new from this group and need to pass cbest writing. I’ve been trying to pass 3 times but still couldn’t make it. I passed reading and maths with 47 & 46 but 29 in writing. I’ll try again paper test on July. Pl. give any advice to pass. My school needs my passing score too.
    Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 27, 2019

Welcome to A to Z, Sandra310, and hugs. What do the diagnostic indicators on your score report say about how your writing is coming up short?

4. Sandra310

Sandra310 New Member

Jun 27, 2019

I need organization, structure, and convention for both tasks. I don’t know what to do, although I try to practice.
    Thanks

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 28, 2019

"Structure and conventions" is a single category that includes grammar (correct and idiomatic phrases, clauses, sentences, and paragraphs) and mechanics (correct spelling, capitalization, and punctuation). I'll add - in light of you using "maths" rather than "math" and a couple of unidiomatic bits in your first post above - that the the standard here is American English. You might find LearningExpress's book Writing Skills Success in 20 Minutes a Day a useful and affordable resource; if money is tight, look for a used copy or borrow it from a public library.

"Organization" has to do with how an essay is put together: how an expository essay flows from the introduction of its thesis through its supporting points to its conclusion, or how a narrative (a story) makes its point as it flows from introduction through rising action and climax to resolution. A somewhat boring but practical format for the expository essay is taught in US schools as "the five-paragraph essay" (or "the five-paragraph essay, plus or minus one"), in which the first paragraph introduces the thesis and briefly notes the supporting topics; each of the supporting topics is developed in its own paragraph, in the order in which the introduction listed it; and the last paragraph sums up the argument and may suggest other applications.

The best way to learn to write is to write, especially if you can get feedback on your writing. The local community college English department or writing program might be able to suggest a skilled undergraduate who could look over your writing drafts and suggest improvements; whoever you hire should be certain to understand the standards and specifications for CBEST essays.

6. Sandra310

Sandra310 New Member

Jul 1, 2019

Thanks.
    How many marks do I need to pass writing test? At least 30 to have 123 or more?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 1, 2019

There are two requirements to pass CBEST:

1. The total scaled score for all three sections must be 123 or greater.

2. The minimum acceptable scaled score in a single section is 37.

futuremathsprof likes this.