Need help differentiating

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ST13, Nov 6, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Nov 6, 2015

I am a brand new first year elementary special Ed teacher.

I teach 4th grade and pull students for small group instruction.

I am having a lot of trouble in my math block. I only have 4 students but 3 of them are at a fairly similar level One of them is EXTREMELY low. The rest of my group is able to compare numbers up to the millions place .... This student has trouble telling me more vs less for single digit numbers.

I am trying to differentiate everything we do and back track for her, but she is the only one in my group at her level. When she sees that she is getting different tests/hw/lessons than the rest of the she gets discouraged and she already has very low confidence. She needs constant one on one assistance and had trouble with basic number sense (the rest of my group is at a 3rd/4th grade level)

How do I differentiate for her without making it too obvious she is not at the same level as the rest of my group??

I can't even really break of my class to do stations because she would need her own group and if o try doing everyone on their own (which I've tried) I run out of time in my period!

Help!!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 6, 2015

Can you have her join another group? I have one student this year who really needed to meet with a group that was on a different level than the rest of his grade level group. I worked it out with the special education teacher for this student to meet with the grade level, but also with the other group a few days a week. In the few weeks we've been doing this, we've seen academic improvement as well as a return of confidence.

4. ST13

ST13 Companion

Nov 7, 2015

I've considered that. But the only other group that is lower than mine would be a grade lower (3rd grade) with a teacher she had last year. She knows the teacher teaches third grade and I worry that sending her back to third grade for math might make her confidence drop even more.

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 7, 2015

Do you have access to any online programs and tech equipment. I would probably have her work on something at her level online while you work with the other students. Then I would get the other students started on independent work and check in with her.

6. ST13

ST13 Companion

Nov 7, 2015

I could try that. I just worry singling her out like that will not help with her confidence when she sees that She's the only one on the computer

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 7, 2015

Perhaps you can find ways to have other students use the computer on occasion too... or bring them all together for a game or activity that would benefit them all. In general, I wouldn't worry as much about her confidence as I would about making sure she is receiving instruction at her level (this will boost her confidence too, doing something that is in her zone of proximal development). Social confidence is important, but I, personally, don't think it's as important as meeting students where they are academically and helping them progress from there.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 8, 2015

Look at Splashmath...I have my class on it. Each child can be put into a different grade level and the characters and type of work looks the same.

9. ST13

ST13 Companion

Nov 8, 2015

Thanks! Will look into that!!

10. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 8, 2015

I also like MobyMax.

11. ST13

ST13 Companion

Nov 8, 2015

I've never heard of that. Is it also online? I'm trying to focus on something that focuses on skills rather than skills by grade so she doesn't get fixated that she is on a lower grade leveled game

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Nov 8, 2015

Yes, MobyMax (http://www.mobymax.com) is an online programs that meets a student where he/she is at (you can see what grade level standards the student is working on, but he/she doesn't know the specific grade level) and allows them to progress at his/her own pace. It monitors progress and records data for you. Best part is that the free version is very comprehensive!

13. ST13

ST13 Companion

Nov 8, 2015

Thank you. We have something similar at my school that we use. I will try doing that and see how that works out

14. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Nov 10, 2015

I have a 5th grade student who reads on a K-1 level- much lower than the other 5th graders I have. I still pull him out with the 5th grade group at times and we primarily focus on reading comprehension- which he does need help with, but he needs more focus on basic reading skills. To get that instruction in basic reading skills, he does join a group in a lower grade level- 1st grade, actually, which is where is is academic wise. However, he gets to be that teacher's helper and help teach the younger kids- which is really helpful for him and the 1st graders. This way he gets instruction on his level without him feeling like his is with a "baby group." Could you maybe do that, and have this student be the helper in the 3rd grade group?

15. ST13

ST13 Companion

Nov 10, 2015

That's a possibility! though I worry that if our math is not at the same time she will be missing out on other instruction in my room (which she also really needs)

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 10, 2015

Sometimes you have to prioritize. Yes, she needs instruction in all subjects. Which one would hurt her the most if missed? If she did miss, say science, could she do the work during your math time? Can you rearrange your schedule at all? Keep thinking outside the box.