Need help creating a game

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MsKitty, Sep 15, 2009.

1. MsKitty

MsKitty New Member

Sep 15, 2009

I need help coming up with a game that has to do with oysters. I know this might sound a little silly. There are weekly themes that I do not create, but I have to come up with activities for. It can just be a fun game. It does not have to tie in with any specific subject (in fact, it'd be better if it didn't). I definitely don't want it to be a math game (I know that would be easy to create). I've had to create games before, and the only ideas I can come up with for this one are the same sort of things I've used before. It can even be a board game. For some reason my mind has just come to a standstill on this one. Any help (even the tiniest idea or suggestion that might inspire me) would be greatly appreciated!

3. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 15, 2009

What is the age group?

4. ccw

ccw New Member

Sep 15, 2009

Here's a game I made up to play with my Title 1 Reading 2nd graders. You can adapt it to any skill. I use different phonics skill words or sight words. I adapt it to the season(pumpkin/ghost)called BOO or T-Rex, when the kids study dinosaurs.
    Name: Oyster
    Make your skill cards for kids to draw from , one word on each
    On 3 or 4cards put an oyster shell showing the oyster in it.
    On 3 or 4 cards put an oyster shell showing the pearl in it. On these write #1, 2, 3 or 4.
    Place cards face down spread out on table
    Students take turns drawing reading/answering whatever skill you choose
    If a oyster is drawn you must return one of your cards to the pile & you keep the oyster card
    If a pearl is drawn you may take the number(1,2,3,4) written cards from another player.
    Winner is the one holding the most cards when all drawing cards are used. You may count the pearl cards but not the oysters.
    This is so simple but my kids loved playing it.

Also I play the game Firecracker with them. You could put an oyster on the card instead of the firecracker. If you don't know this game, I can explain it.
    ccw

5. gottagoodgig

gottagoodgig Companion

Sep 15, 2009

What about a sensory lesson? I used to have a "mystery blanket" and I would put random items from the classroom down on the floor (without children seeing.) I would then place the "mystery blanket" over the items. The kiddos were asked to feel the items with their hands and guess what it was. You could do this game with a piece of cloth with oysters on it. Or, you could draw/cut out a big oyster shell out of fabric. You can call the game "Pearl in the Oyster" or something like that. Kinda random. . but might be fun! :)

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2009

Right now we are doing that sensory lesson with letters. We put magnetic letters in a sock and they guess which one it is, write it down, then pull it out and check and record the correct answer.

I'm guessing that wouldn't work for anything above grade 1.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2009

They could go on an oyster hunt... open the oyster and there is a task. Kind of like an egg hunt. Depending on what you want them to do is what will be written on a piece of paper inside the oyster shell.
    Now, what to use for oysters? I have no idea.

8. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 15, 2009

Can you do something with pearls?
    Oh, and Oyster Crackers for a snack.

It all depends on the age group of course....