Need Help CBEST MATH

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Counz2BLiz, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 13, 2007

:eek: I am signed up for the CBEST 2/10/07 math is the only section that I need to pass. I have taken it 3 times. one time for each section of the test but I would try to pass the math. In other words I studied for the reading took that section and once done I gave the math a try, not having studied at all. I only studied for it once and took the test. I was 4 points from passing. I need the least amount, a 37 on it. I am taking an online math class and studying each day from CBEST test prep books. I am determined to pass it once and for all. Any suggestions from those who had difficulty on the math?? I got through graduate statistics and have a difficult time with simple math, this is just embarassing.:eek: I guess if you don't use it you lose it huh? Any suggestions would be so warmly accepted.

Thanks a bunch!!
    Liz;)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2007

If you got through graduate statistics, you're probably overthinking this thing - and that's more common than you might expect.

Do you find yourself changing answers a lot?

4. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 20, 2007

The way I answer is....

to be hasty without checking my work, which will change this test! I have been known to change answers here and there. I am taking an oline math class to brush up my skills and studying the CBEST books anywhere from 1-2.5 hours per day when I am done I will have a month into it. I should be ready by then. Any suggestions are very welcome:angel:

Thanks a bunch!
    Liz

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

Check the copyright dates on the books you're using: if the date's 2002 or before, the book probably doesn't reflect the current CBEST. (A book that mentions test-score interpretation probably is current.)

6. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 21, 2007

Thank you for comment on date of book!

I just opened my books and to my surprise they are 2002 and 2000. Thank you so much for the tip, I would have never thought of that. I will be getting books that are up to date ASAP! Again thank you a bunch!

Liz

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2007

Wait! Liz, before you go charging off and spending money on books that you'll probably never use again, tell me whether you're anywhere near a Borders or Barnes & Noble.

For that matter, tell me whether you're anywhere near San Diego.

8. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

No Barns and Noble, UGH!

There is one about 1 hr. 15 min from me and I have access online to order books. In fact I did a search on Amazon and came up with maybe 2 CBEST books that were newer than 2002. I have The Princeton Review 2nd edition Cracking the CBEST, 2002. I looked up reviews on it and the people had replied in Dec. 06 and Jan. 07 saying they studied from the book and couldn't have done it without it. They highly recommended it. Are you sure it is out dated? I am only studying and taking the math portion so the book that is more difficult that the actual exam is preferred.

I live in the Sierra Foothills near Yosemite but could drive to a Borders or Barns and Noble if Necessary. I would rather order online, it saves my time and gas. Do you have a book you recommend? Thank you for your time it is so greatly appreciated.

Liz:angel:

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

If Princeton Review's book discusses test score interpretation, it's current enough and you should be fine with it.

Are you facing any CSET exams? (This is not a digression.)

10. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

No CSET thank goodness. This one is enough. You would think guidance counselors wouldn't need an exam but from what I can tell anyone that sets foot in a school has to take it and pass.

So you would not suggest getting a newer book? This one is 2002, that is 5 yeard old. I saw some new books around 2004 but they did not come with recommendations like the Princeton Review that I have.

Thanks a bunch!
    Liz

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

If it's got the test score stuff, no, in fact. Though I suppose, if you've got a library nearby, you might see if you can exercise Interlibrary Loan or something so you could peek at one of the newer books.

How are you as a test taker?

12. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

Yes, my study guide has the score info that is applicable to the current scoring of 123 total explaining how each section is broken down. Do you think the new books are at libraries? I doubt at ours definitly an interlibrary loan for our area. I am suprised a study guide from 2005 or 2006 didn't emerge. The way they update text books each year you would think it would be the same with the CBEST study guides.:)

Maybe I could give a try at the library. I have 19 days left before my test so the sooner the better.

Liz:confused:

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

Nope, that's not the test score interpretation information I mean: that about the CBEST is old news. I mean stanines, quartiles, percentiles, and the ever-popular grade-equivalent score. Do those terms rear their ugly little heads in your Princeton Review book?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

There's all the difference in the world, by the way, between teXtbooks and teSt books.

Textbooks are sold in quantity, an entire state's worth at a time by contract; it's in the publisher's interest to fill them with flashy graphics and make them look like they're worth the money they cost per copy and to bring out new editions whenever there might be the slightest breath of demand for changes. The publisher tailors the edition for a huge market like California's or Texas's, and then hopes that other states will buy in too.

Test books, in contrast, are bought by individuals, most of whom don't want to pay much even if they can; the way a publisher makes a profit in this market is to keep the unit production price down and to keep an edition in print just as long as is decently possible so as to turn a profit eventually.

Economics, rah...

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2007

SO TRUE!!!!

I did some freelance writing for a major textbook publisher last year. It was a math textbook. I was looking to include lots of detailed instructions, and a zillion practice problems. They wanted lots of references to TX & CA (depending on the edition: TX, CA,or general) and lots of "white space." They didn't want the textbook to be too intimidating to a child.

They weren't crazy about my work and didn't call back with another assignment.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

Yeah, well...

Liz, as long as you get the test-score-analysis material, it may well not much matter which book you're using.

17. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

That is the bell shape curve and all that I learned in stats right? It is in here. I also just purchased Kaplans 2004 book. I was able to preview the pages via Amazon and for $7.00 total which includes shipping, it can't hurt. I like the way they explain how to do the math, it appears very helpful.

Thank you for being so helpful. I was reading in Kaplans that you can get a 26 on a section and pass, it was confusing because in the next paragraph he said that you need a 41 but if your score equal to 123 with a 37 on a section you could get a score of 37. Can you make any sense of the 26 score?

Thank you,
    Liz

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

No.

Well, sort of. Let me start with the 26.

What's probably going on has to do with raw scores vs. scaled scores.

You've got 50 questions on the math section, of which 40 are scored, and each of those is worth one raw point. The CBEST people are very cagey about the algorithm that converts raw points to scaled points, but bottom line is that the scale runs from 20 to 80, and a full passing score is 41, which a reasonable person can be forgiven for estimating at just over 50% of the possible scoring scale.

Just over 50% of 50 questions would be 26, so it's possible that what Kaplan's test wallahs are trying to say is that getting 26 questions correct will give you a passing raw score of 41. Trouble is, that doesn't quite work either, because of those questions that don't score. The questions that count are the other 40, of which presumably one needs over 50% correct. That would be 21 correct, one presumes - but then there are those other ten questions, and there's no way of telling them apart from the scoring questions unless one's employed by NES (which I'm not, as a matter of fact). In order to GUARANTEE that enough of one's correct answers fall among the scoring 40, one might well need to get 30 or 31 correct overall, at which point we're looking at 3/5 or 60% correct. That's still not exactly a high bar for this test to set.

As to the rest:

There are two hard and fast rules for passing CSET. One is that the aggregate score across all three sections must total 123 or more. The other is that no score may fall below 37. A score of 37 is what's known as a minimal pass. Note that it is perfectly possible to pass with TWO minimal passes of 37 points, provided the third score makes up the difference for the total of 123.

Hope this helps.

19. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 22, 2007

Definitely helps, puts into perspective of what was read. Thank you. My Kaplan book is on its way:D I will just keep on plugging along. Last practice test I took in the Princeton book I missed 5 out of 50. I have another test to practice in there and am shooting to get them all right. I hope to practice out of Kaplans as well. Just paranoid I guess but trying to cover all bases.

Thanks a bunch!
    Liz;)

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 22, 2007

If you missed 5 of 50 in Princeton Review's 2002 edition, you're in fine shape - there wouldn't be more than one or two test-score interpretation questions, and you'd probably get those right anyway.

Let me suggest something to keep in the back of your mind while you're indulging your test-taking paranoia: examine the test-taking experience you're going through and think about what test taking might be like for students at the school(s) at which you hope to work. How could this experience help you guide them?

21. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 24, 2007

Here is the latest on my studies for the CBEST

:D The first test I took from the Princeton Review book out of 50 I missed 5 and I went online to the CBEST site and took one of their practice tests and out of 50 I missed 12. I have 16 days to go to study and can tell I still could use some of it, studying that is. This news is wonderful comming from my past attempts where no matter what I did I always missed half. I have a real fear of math tests, not sure why. So I have to study extra hard and extra long:( But if it gets me to the end result I will be grateful!

I will try to keep this board informed of the details.

Thank you for those who have been so good to offer advice, it was well taken.
    Liz

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2007

Instead of tracking how many you miss, try tracking how many you get right - that way you're counting successes, not failures.

23. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Jan 24, 2007

Good idea, I need all the successes possible:D

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 24, 2007

As will your future students.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2007

Ok, let's take it a step further: what was the percent increase?

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2007

Yup. A general formula for percent increase/decrease is (forgive me, Alice, but I happen to like my variables mnemonic)

n-b
    b

where b is the beginning number and n is the ending number (n-ding: get it?)

To take LearningRocks!'s example,

560-500

If n-b gives a positive result, as it does here, you have a percent increase; if n-b gives a negative result, however, as it would where the suit that normally costs $100 goes on sale for $80, you have a percent decrease, because 80-100 = -20.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2007

Drop the word "about" and you're right on target:D

28. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

Thank You, I did pass!

Great examples and yes these were on the test, the ones with % increases or decreases.

Good examples and thank you again!
    Liz;)

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2007

Oh, NO!!! You've just encouraged Teacher Groupie :)

Hang on to your hat... she's got a zillion zingers like that! (said with love and a smile)

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2007

(with love and a smile back) I am so busted...

31. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 18, 2007

Are you kidding?? You've just been given carte blanche!!

go to town!!!

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2007

Thihnk of this as my weekly practice in showing discretion.