Need Help after Break!!

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by kcarver, Apr 7, 2006.

1. kcarver

kcarver Rookie

Apr 7, 2006

Im trying to implement a new behavior program when the kids get back from spring break...I want to use my tresure box and I want to incorporate a "candle Light lunch", but Im stumped as to what to do...I dont want anything that is going to be a lot fo work and I want it to be seen by the kids...HELP PLEASE!!!!! What are some ideas?????:confused:

3. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 7, 2006

4. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Apr 9, 2006

Have you seen the book Teaching with Love and Logic by Jim Fay and Foster Cline? I got it last summer, and it has completely changed the way I manage my 1st and 2nd graders! :) I no longer raise my voice in class or embarrass or humiliate children who are misbehaving. I'm much calmer, and I have a very positive relationship with my students. My students respect me, and I respect them. It is all because of Love and Logic! I don't use a card-pulling system, traffic light system, or sticker charts, and my students take responsibility for their problems and often come up with their own consequences for misbehaving. (By the way, I have 22 students, 2 of whom are diagnosed with behavior disorders and have behavior goals on their IEP's, 2 others who have oppositional defiant characteristics, and 5 who've been diagnosed with ADHD. About 60% of my students come from poverty and are on the free-lunch or reduced-price lunch program. In fact, it's the toughest class I've had in 9 years of teaching.) It's true that I do get frustrated sometimes. My students are certainly not perfect, and they do disrupt instruction, but it's definitely decreased. I no longer allow my students' problems to become MY problems. I do hand out "special things" like bookmarks, stickers, erasers, and pencils sometimes, but now they're always for everyone in the class, just as a fun surprise, not a bribe. I wish I'd found Love and Logic sooner, but am glad I started using it this school year.

Fay and Cline have written several excellent Love and Logic books for parents and teachers, and they do seminars, conferences, etc. Check them out online!

Good luck with whatever new system you decide on! Keep us updated!

Take care ... Jaicie

5. sdeagle

sdeagle New Member

Apr 11, 2006

Golden Ticket

Prepare a sheet that can be copied easily, have copied in gold or another color - small tickets that say Teacher's name, space for student's name........has been caught beig good, space to initial and date.........At the end of the week - draw for a prize from the prize box. I also give them for each 100 a child earns, promoting grades AND good behavior.

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Apr 11, 2006

7. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Apr 12, 2006

Deena,

I guess I can see why someone might call it "manipulation", but I certainly don't see it that way! That reviewer may not have fully understood the premise behind Love & Logic. With Love & Logic, the teacher has some control, and she gives her students some control, too, by giving them choices that are acceptable to her. The child gets to choose. Also, Love & Logic focuses on positivity and developing a caring relationship with your students, getting to know them as individuals so as to better understand what makes them tick, so to speak. In my experience, students are more likely to follow directions of someone they like and respect than of someone they dislike. For example, I offer choices like this to my 1st and 2nd graders: "You may read on the floor with a pillow or a stuffed animal. You decide." It may seem like a trivial thing, but when you give children lots of choices throughout the day, they are more likely to follow your instructions when there's a time when you can't give them a choice. I might say, "It's time to take our spelling test now," and hear a groan or grumble from a student. Then, with a smile, "Oh, I gave you lots of choices today: what to have for snack, which books you could read for S.S.R., and where to sit for our social studies lesson. This time, I get to make the choice, OK? Thanks." I don't even give them a chance to respond; I just continue teaching.

If you're not sure about the book, see if you can get it at your public library or from your disctrict's staff development library before you invest money in it! I also highly recommend listening to Fay's tapes/CD's. They are hilarious as well as helpful!

Take care ... Jaicie