Need Help/Advice Kids are at risk

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by suzy7677, Feb 23, 2014.

1. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

HI,

I just took on a job in the beginning of Feb. The teacher in previously in my position left last minute during the second week of school. She taught from July - December.

There is really no record of what she did previously, nor is there much student work to evaluate.

Being thrown into the position - I just started teaching Story Elements and Geometry. I figured 1-3 grade would have some background knowledge of these subjects.

There are 7 SS in my classroom: one 1st grader, 3 2nd graders and 3 third graders. I am using common core, but I feel like they need so much. I don't feel like I really give a lesson much of the time.

Tomorrow begins my fourth week and I haven't done any guided reading yet. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? I am doing the best I can using the COMMON CORE - but I want to ensure that I hit the most important points for each grade level. THANK YOU any comments are so gratefully appreciated. (THINGS ARE ACTUALLY GOING A LOT MORE SMOOTHLY THAN I THOUGHT...:)

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2014

Why are you using CCSS? Does Costa Rica not have its own standards of learning?

That said, if you are using CCSS (and even if you werent) there are BIG differences in expectations and rigor among your three grade levels. Do you have a class library? I'd start with getting benchmark levels for each student. Using a shared text for reading mini lessons is great, but then kids should be doing their reading work in texts at their own levels....you can do writing in a similar manner...whole group minilesson and then pull small groups to work on grammar, craft, mechanics..)
    As far as math, make sure they are developing good number sense, fluency with the 'basic facts' in adding and subtracting (and multiplication/division for your third graders), do lots of hands on problem solving and have kids show their understanding with words, pictures (diagram, table, tallies, etc) and numbers (equations).

4. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Feb 23, 2014

thank you

Thank you for your response. it is an international school prepping SS for US diploma.

I appreciate your advice, there is no way around just spending hours upon hours differentiating - our library is not leveled, but i have students reading on the right levels. Thanks again

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 24, 2014

The math facts alone are so different for first and third graders at this point in the year. Do you have access to computers for practicing at each student's level? The thirds should already be working on division with a single-digit divisor. If you teach them how to select books at their appropriate levels and you have a good library, their individual reading should work. I see how writing mini-lessons could be shared, with them each writing in their own journals at their individual levels. I hope for your sake that the first grader is quite advanced...... Good luck to you.

6. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Feb 27, 2014

Thank you for your response. I am fortunate enough to have a parent volunteer with classroom experience! She will help to make guided reading much more effective! Yes, my first grader is well advanced. Things are beginning to fall into place :)