Need Help: 1st time teaching Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by ICareTher4Ido, Aug 16, 2008.

1. ICareTher4Ido

ICareTher4Ido Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I have been teaching for 6 years, but this is my first year teaching kindergarten. I have just found out I will not be supplied with a class library nor will my kids have cubbies. Does anyone know where to get resources so I won't go into debt trying to put this room together? I still have to get use to the table thing. Do I put a container in the middle of the table for supplies? (I am so use to desk) I also found out I will not have a desk in my room only a "teacher's table". Are there any suggestions of how to organize my table? I don't know how I would get by without having a desk with drawers.

I guess I am so nervous. I have taught 3rd grade and worried that I will have trouble adapting to K.

Thank you for any suggestions.:help:

3. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

Go to the thrift shops in the area and see what you can find?

Ask the janitor's if there is a closet or extra room where they keep extra desk and etc.

4. AFWifeNGermany

AFWifeNGermany Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I used a kidney shaped teacher's table for my desk last year. I put my TV cart with my computer on it behind my table (in the corner of the room). I used 4 Rubbermaid drawer sets on either side of the TV cart for storage. I like it better than having a desk! It saves space!

5. Cashel

Cashel Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I use a container in the center of tables for supplies. I keep glue, scissors, and pencils in them. I used to use yogurt cups for crayons, but they would get knocked over. Now I just use small baskets. I've even used disposable sandwich containers for crayons. I like doing community supplies. I'm not sure I could keep track of them any other way!!

As far as cubbies, a paper sorter would work for keeping track of their papers to go home. If you were looking for a way to keep bookbags and coats, I've use wire cubes from Target.

Good luck!

6. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I agree with hescollin about the thrift shops. You can get books really cheap and furniture. I would also check and see if you have any used book stores. I often find really good books for .10-1.00. As for the tables I found caddies at the dollar store that were just right for the table. Other teachers in kindergarten I have seen use plastic cups, soda bottle cardboard packaging that is divided, or just have a communal area for supplies. I am using chair pockets I made from dollar fabric at wal-mart. This picture shows my "teacher" table. I just put a bookcase behind it for the material i needed and baskets

[​IMG]

I hope this helps :)

7. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 16, 2008

kinderkidz, your room is adorable. I love love it.

You will need a box of kleenix.

9. ICareTher4Ido

ICareTher4Ido Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

Wow, thank you. I have gotten so many awesome ideas. Thank you I will definitely get out there and have a great school year!

10. ICareTher4Ido

ICareTher4Ido Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

Thank you. I will go out all this week.:thanks:

11. ICareTher4Ido

ICareTher4Ido Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

I'm glad it says space. Thank you.

12. ICareTher4Ido

ICareTher4Ido Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

Great. That sounds like a plan. I went to Dollar Tree today and got some cute baskets. I will look into the paper sorter. Thanks again.

13. ICareTher4Ido

ICareTher4Ido Rookie

Aug 16, 2008

Thanks! I am going to check the thrift store out tomorrow.

14. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Aug 16, 2008

I use containers on my tables to hold crayons, pencils, scissors and glue. I had someone make me chair pockets (fairly inexpensive depending on the fabric) and they put their papers in there.

You will need to look for inexpensive containers for your "stuff". Try the dollar store or big lots, they often have nice stuff, and it is cheap.

Also, my first year I would use the school library and public library for books. As I have taught I go to thrift stores, yard sales, use my own childrens books, and now buy from scholastic and get free books there.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 16, 2008

It's my first year teaching, so I'm not sure if my methods are the best to listen to, but I'm just going to have a pencil basket in the middle of each table. The students will each have their own pencil box with markers, crayons, scissors, and 2 glue sticks. I figure the pencils are used the most, so having them out on each table will eliminate getting up to sharpen, because I can keep track of them. The rest of the stuff they'll be responsible for, and I'll have tons of back-ups (they're required to bring in tons of supplies) to replace items as they get used up.

If you're looking for little baskets to hold markers, crayons, pencils, etc. look at Wal-mart. In the kitchen area they have those little white baskets in packs of 2 or 3 (depending on size) for only 94 cents. Check Target's dollar section for totes and cubbies. Last year they had little totes for $1 each, and I think this year they have some nicer ones in the $2.00 area.

As for books, thrift stores do have cheap ones, but I've found the quality is usually less-than. I spent an entire day looking at about 4 thrift stores and I only found about 8 books that I thought were quality children's literature. There were tons of Disney and character books, which I personally refuse to buy. If I were you I'd go to your local library and check out a bunch of books to get you through the first few months. Most places allow you to check out about 40 books, and then hit up your school library, too. Then, as soon as you start getting Scholastic book orders (assuming you do them) you can order a bunch of books. They have all of those cheap books and sets of classics. And if you order enough you'll probably get to choose free books. I just wouldn't risk quality for quantity by buying less-than books at thrift stores.

16. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2008

Make sure you have your kids order books from Scholastic so you can stock up yourself!! I also like to borrow seasonal books from my local library...
    As far as cubbies, I saw an idea where a teacher used empty oatmeal containers (the circular ones), and used one for every child. You could assign every student a shoebox...or buy a shoe cubby...they are not horribly expensive, and I think it would help alot!
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8195139
    Make sure you find out if teachers get any money to spend, many times the PTO or the BOE gives a little to each school or teacher to buy supplies. Good luck!!:)

17. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 17, 2008

Discovery Bottles

Wave Bottle Fill half of the bottle with cooking oil, add water to fill the bottle ¾ of the way. Add blue food coloring, and seal the lid with glue As you turn the bottle on its side, the waves roll gently.

Desert Bottle Add small plastic desert animals such as lizards, snakes, etc. to an empty bottle. Fill 2/3 of bottle with sand. As students turn and shake the bottle, they can see animals that live on the desert. This is a great activity for visual discrimination

Magnetic Bottle #1 Fill a bottle with small items that can be picked up with a magnet, and objects that cannot be picked up by magnet. Seal the bottle Attach a magnet to the top of the bottle by tying one end of cord around the neck of the bottle and the end to a magnet. Students discovery which items are attracted to the magnetic and which are not.

Swirling Colors: Spray foam shaving cream into a bottle. Add warm water to fill the bottle. Shake, and watch the foam dissolve. Add more water if needed, till all the foam is dissolved. Add food coloring (one color per bottle). When finished, attach the lids and prepare to be mesmerized as the colors and the white swirl together.

Treasurer Hunt Jar: 1 clean peanut butter jar, with lid. Finch bird seed. Fill the jar half full bird seed. Add whatever small items you can find, jungle bell, bead, paper clip, button, penny, marble, (put 20 items in the jar) tape the following poem to the bottle.

TREASURE HUNT BOTTLE. Some pirates got it all mixed up, and did things wrong way round. They put the treasure in a bottle, and buried the map in the ground! Their treasure was some silly stuff, like a button, penny, bead and more. That dear old Polly Parrot added all her extra seeds! So find the twenty items here, no two are quite the same. Don’t open up the bottle though, as that would break the game

Here are five Discovery Bottle ideas. Be sure and hot glue the lids on.

18. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Sep 14, 2008

Kinderkidz you may have been asked this before but how did you make your chicka chicka tree? Ive seen larger ones but your seems just the right size.

19. lwag14

lwag14 Rookie

Sep 14, 2008

Check your local libraries for book fairs, you can get a lot of books cheap at a book fair especially if they have a bag day which is could easily be $5 per bag and fill it with whatever you can.

20. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Oct 6, 2008

I have gotten A LOT of books from garage sales. This past week i bought around 45 books for about $10! I got a Mo Williams book (brand new) for .50 and alot of other great ones for .25! I like to go on saturday mornings and on a nice day alot of people have them.:)