Need he developing the homework race.

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by HWilson, Jul 28, 2012.

1. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

So this past school year I was visiting a school and saw a bulletin board with cars racing each other to the finish line and it said something about homework. they were having class so I couldn't talk directly to the teacher but I LOVE the idea. I just need help figuring out how to work it. Basically there were three strips (I would need 4 bc I have 4 classes) and they will race to the finish line based on homework completion.

I can't figure out how to make them move. Obviously it wouldn't be fair to love the number of spaces of students that completed the HW. So then I was thinking I can use percentage but I'm not sure how I would do that either. Maybe if >95% completes they move 5 spaces (I would put tick marks by the race track to determine distance). Then 95-80% completed the assignment they move 4 spaces. But im not digging that completely. Any suggestions how I could execute this? I think it is awesome to have them compete against the other classes but I can't quite figure it out.

:help:

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

I like the percentage idea but would do it really small for the most part and then make like 98-100% the big one. I guess it also depends on how many of your kids normally do homework? Obviously you would want to make it something they could see results with, which will vary school to school!

4. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

Awesome! How do you think I should break down the percentages and points?

The point of the race is to encourage the students do their HW.

I think you're right. 98-100% is a stage nthen when I break down the percentages that will tell me how many tick marks. For example, if I have 5 categories then 98-100% would be move 5 ticks.

I'm just not sure how to break it down.

5. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

Ive seen it done in a school I used to work in....it was more like a thermometer ....she used the old fashioned printer paper that is connected and had 1 strip floor to ceiling for each class...when a class had 100% hw they would fill in a square...the class that reached the codling first would get a bagel party and the race would start again.

6. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

This is the range I came up with based on 25 students in a class (could be more or less).

Tell me what you think.
    100-98% - 5 plaes
    97-80% - 4 places
    79-60% - 3 places
    59-40% - 2 places
    39-1% - 1 place
    0%*- move zero places.

7. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

Do you know how she broke it down? I could make a thermometer. Not a bad idea. I haven't thought about rewards much except maybe let them pick out the reward they would choose if they win (as a class). Oh and within reason.

I didn't something similar last year with my sinle gender class, boys vs girls, and the themometer in the hallway. They LOVED it!!!!

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

I'm thinking if less than half did their homework maybe they should get to move at all? Again just depends. I'm used to pretty much 95-100% of my kids doing homework so 50% would be pretty weird!!!

9. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

Oh wow!!! Not the case at all for me. I did consider less than 30 or 40% no moving but then I would hate for the students that actually did theirs feel like they got nothing out of it (except for the obvious learning experience). Or am I trying to be too fair?

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

How often would you say you only have 30% do their homework? You could always have some sort of individual prize for them on those days if it's not terribly often. Maybe a pencil or a day late pass or something?

11. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

At h end of the year it was getting to be less than half the class doing it. That's why I'm determined to figure something out this year.

The other part that makes it difficult is math is the only subject that gives HW (with the exception of "study your notes" in other classes and " read"). So they see us as the " bad guy" and they just aren't in the routine or whatever. It drives me crazy.

12. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

That is tough to deal with it. I know some math teachers who collect random homework as quiz grades. Or they give a pop quiz with questions from the homework and it's open homework.

See how it goes 1st quarter and you can always adjust as needed?

13. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

Both of those are good ideas! I'll try those too! Thanks for your help! :)

14. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2012

I would start with the first few weeks taking data on how many of the kids in each class are completing their homework. Then set your percentages based on the data that you collect.

As this is a class goal, I wouldn't set the lower goals or some students may feel that they don't need to do anything. You may just want to have them move one space if over 90% completes their homework.

15. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Jul 29, 2012

Good point. :thumb:

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 29, 2012

I love the idea of taking data the first weeks. Good call mopar.