Need Guidance Please

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by workingwithkids, Jun 19, 2018.

1. workingwithkids

workingwithkids Rookie

Jun 19, 2018

A little background: I taught for 4 years, was a paraeducator for 3.5 years, and then returned to teach a 5th year. I was planning on starting my Doctorates last year (at this time, I just want to do it, not go into admin) but due to Hurricane Harvey, that was placed on hold. My love is elementary but have taught middle school also. Both years that I taught middle school, I was miserable. I subbed In two districts this past year (a very small one and a very large one). I have applied to both districts for teaching.
    In the large district, I have had 3 interviews (1 I would take and pass on the other two due to the interview and their professionalism. 2 of the interviews were at the elementary level and the third was at the middle school level (which I don't want). The district provides each school with a list of all qualified applicants that have passed the screening process so two of the interviews are for jobs that I didn't apply for. Neither school had even looked at my resume before the interview (based on their reactions).
    Questions:
    1. How do you find out more about schools if their websites leave a lot to be desired.
    2. Is going to the job fair benefical?
    3. Is it okay to turn down interviews at the middle school level and not seem rude?
    Thank you

3. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jun 19, 2018

1. I don't have a great answer to this, other than asking around about the district and checking their social media pages.

2. In my experience, job fairs contain very few schools in the area, and a lot of schools from areas that have a high need for teachers. If you are willing to move, then it would be beneficial. If you are looking for something more local, then don't make it priority. This could just be the case in my area, so I would find out the schools that are going to be there ahead of them.

3. If you truly are not interested in teaching middle school, then no it is not rude to politely turn down interviews. I'm sure the interviewers will be grateful that you did not waste their time if you are not interested in the position.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 19, 2018

1. How do you find out more about schools if their websites leave a lot to be desired.
    Ask around. See if you can find someone with children there or works there.

2. Is going to the job fair benefical?
    I've never been to one, so I can't say for sure.

3. Is it okay to turn down interviews at the middle school level and not seem rude?
    Here you would have had to apply for the middle school job to be interviewed, so it's a non-issue. I can't see how it would be rude, however.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 20, 2018

1. You ask a lot of questions in the interview. Remember, you're interviewing them too. Also google the school and read the reviews on school rating sites. Of course you need to take them with a grain of salt because most people don't bother to write a review unless they're upset, but if you see a lot of reviews mentioning the same concern, it might be legitimate. I'd also look to see if the school has a facebook page and look through the comments there.

2. I've had wildly different experiences depending on the specific job fair. If the job fair is a full day or two days that's a good sign that they're doing interviews at the fair, and I've found those to be really beneficial. If the job fair is only a few hours in the morning, they might just be doing meet and greets, which IMO is a waste of time. You could try reaching out to whoever is running the fair and asking if interviews will be conducted or if it's just meet and greets.

Perhaps this is just my area, but I've found the ones put on by large universities to be really good. I went to one put on by some administrative organization which I was told was "the best" and the districts were only doing meet and greets. They handed out little pamphlets about their district and were telling people how to apply online. Most weren't even accepting paper resumes- just telling people to apply online. I'd already applied online to all of the districts prior to attending the fair. It was a complete waste of time.

If you can't find out about the fair ahead of time and it's not cost prohibitive for you to go, I'd probably just go. Better to be safe than sorry.

3. I think it's perfectly fine to say, "Thank you so much for calling, but I'm currently looking for an elementary position." Obviously make sure that's also clear on your application, cover letter, and resume. If they still call, it's no big deal to turn them down. They don't want to waste their time with someone who doesn't want the position either.