Need grammar help

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by trina, Mar 12, 2007.

1. trina

trina Companion

Mar 12, 2007

Hi board-

I need some help with this test question. Directions say the following:
    ADJECTIVE PHRASES: Circle the phrases (prepositional, infinitive, or participial) that are used as adjectives in the following sentences. Draw an arrow to the word the phrase modifies.

Here is the sentence that I'm not sure about according to the answer key:

1. I want to invite all of my friends.

The answer: circle "of my friends" and point to "all."

It looks to me that the infinitive phrase "to invite" is acting as the direct object. Correct me if I am wrong. So what is "all" in the sentence?

Thanks,
    Trina

3. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 12, 2007

You are correct. "All" is the object of the infinitive "to invite." Together, "to invite all of my friends" is one infinitive phrase which just happens to include a prepositional phrase within it. The entire infinitive phrase is the direct object of the sentence.

I want WHAT? I want TO INVITE ALL OF MY FRIENDS.

4. trina

trina Companion

Mar 12, 2007

Thank you Mamacita! I have another that I want to confirm before I finish grading these tests. I made this one up, so I don't have an answer key. The sentence to diagram is as follows:

Katie and Samone are the eighth grade girls going on the trip.

Katie & Samone- subjects
    are- verb
    girls- predicate nominative
    the, eighth, grade- adj modifying girls
    going on the trip- participial phrase modifying girls

Please confirm that this is correct. I have over half the class diagramming the verb as "are going," girls as a direct object. It is making me second guess myself! Clear my head fog!

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 12, 2007

You are again correct, except for one really minor detail.

"Eighth grade," in this context, must be viewed as a compound noun, because 'eighth' doesn't modify 'girls,' it modifies 'grade.' But "grade" in this context is being used as an adjective, and so "eighth" must be part of the noun. It's not "eighth girls". It's "eighth grade." Compound noun, in this particular context. In other contexts, it is usually an adjective + noun.

I love it that you correctly identified the participial phrase. Don't forget to mention the prepositional phrase within the participial phrase.

Scheisse, I love grammar.

6. trina

trina Companion

Mar 13, 2007

Again, thank you so much. I had totally missed the eighth grade part, so thanks for pointing it out.

I DO love grammar so much. I tell my students that diagramming is like being a scientist and taking your pen like a scalpel to dissect the sentence. Nevertheless, whenever I say "Oh this is going to be fun!" they usually roll their eyes and remind me that my idea of fun doesn't usually bode well for them!

I appreciate your lending me your years of expertise!