Need graduation help!!! Silly question

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by mommyre, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Feb 5, 2008

So, I am graduating in May and as a poor graduate, I cannot afford to pay for 50 school sanctioned announcements. I would like some for "special" people, but was wondering if ordering from VistaPrint or somewhere similar and sending these out is okay. I need to conserve money as my son's day care just went up to $130 a week! I am a "late" graduate as I went back to school after almost 10 years. I am turning 30 this year, so it is not like I am asking for gifts, what do you all think?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 5, 2008

Couldn't you get the stuff at Staples and make them yourself? I did that for bridal shower invitations.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 5, 2008

I found paper at Kinkos that I liked and printed my own graduation announcement. I found a poem that I loved and simply wrote an announcement of my graduation.

This is the poem I put on mine:
    Come To The Edge
    -- Christopher Logue

The teacher said to the students, "Come to the edge."
    The students replied, "We might fall."
    The teacher again said to the students, "Come to the edge."
    The students said, "We can't, it's too high."
    The teacher commanded, "COME TO THE EDGE!"
    The students came to the edge, the teacher pushed them,
    ....and they flew.

5. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Feb 7, 2008

I ordered 25 announcements. They were really a bit pricey, but I did get about $300 in gift money. I was shocked since I was 41, but it did more than pay for the announcements!

I just got my son's high school announcements in the mail today. They were much cheaper than my college ones. I ordered 50 for him because we have a large family.

6. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Feb 8, 2008

I think that ordering through VistaPrint would be fine...I've gotten cards from them, and they're good quality even if they won't look exactly the same as the expensive ones from the college grad company. You can usually get them printed on linen-finish paper for $1.99 more, so that can make them look a little nicer too. :)

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2008

I ordered them from the university, but I was a traditional graduate so my parents paid for them. I agree that making them yourself is probably the cheapest way to go. I did this for my bridal shower and baby showers.

8. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Feb 8, 2008

I've used VistaPrint for business cards, and thought they were good quality. I think that making them yourself is also fine. Congrats on your upcoming graduation!