Need good book for read aloud?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by kidsr#1, Jul 12, 2009.

1. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 12, 2009

:confused:I have taught everything from K-5 and spent the last three years with third through fifth.

I want to find a good, funny book that the kids would like as a read aloud to start the year out.

Any suggestions??? :thanks:

3. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key or the Worst/Best School Year Ever

4. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Jul 12, 2009

I student taught in 5th grade and used "Schooled" by Gordon Korman. Basically it is about a kid who is new to a public school after being homeschooled on a commune. It is a great book to tie in conflict resolution. The kids really liked it and laughed a lot. I plan to use this book as our first read aloud in September.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 12, 2009

Frindle by Andrew Clements. Fun, easy to follow, makes good points.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 12, 2009

Last year, I started out with No Talking by Andrew Clements. His books are extremely good and about school. Frindle, as Upsadaisy said, is good, also.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

My students love The Grand Escape Series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. I often start the year with this (it is a four book series and the kids beg to read all four books - about cats) and end with Shiloh (about dogs)!

Several other great reads: The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, Tale of Desperaux (last year I read this before the holidays as the movie was coming out, and after we came back to school my students told me not to bother to see the movie because the book was WAY better!), and A Dog's Life.

8. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

I started the year with the first Hank Zipzer book. It starts on his first day of 4th grade too. Hank feels stupid in school (we find out later he's got dyslexia) and it's a good way to talk about how we all learn differently (especially when we talk about how to choose "just right" books). Before we finished this book, every Hank Zipzer book in the school library was checked out!
    We also read The School Story by Andrew Clements; The View From Saturday by EL Konigsburg; A Beginning, a Muddle, and an End by Avi; and First Kids (non-fiction) by Noah McCullough (a 13 year old).

9. PalmettoTeacher

PalmettoTeacher Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I have used -- The Dot by Peter Reynolds, A Fine Fine School by Sharon Creech, Through the Cracks by Carolyn Sollmon. All of these are great read alouds and discussion starters.

10. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

An easy, funny book to use is Skippyjon Jones. When I taught first grade, I partnered up with a fourth grade teacher and we did "reading buddies" every week. Both the 1st and 4th graders LOVED this book!

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

I'm reading A Beginning, A Muddle, and An End by Avi now and I love it so far! Such a creative way to introduce the importance of good writing. I'm going to use it to introduce Writers Workshop in the fall to my new class.

12. Mrs. Mac

Mrs. Mac Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

I plan to do my first read aloud with Shel Silverstien's "The Giving Tree" I just love this book and I think that it covers an important message :)

I am hoping to read The Diary of Ann Frank as well as Lois Lowry's The Giver something during the year. My fifth grade teacher read those two to us, and I always swore that when I was in my own room that I would read them as well!

13. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

Aw I love The Giving Tree---and The Giver is such a powerful book. So much to discuss and learn from in that book.

14. Mrs. Mac

Mrs. Mac Rookie

Jul 15, 2009

Yeah, me too! Shel is one of my favorite authors, I am just curious how fourth graders will respond to it. I am their teacher, and I still love it every time I read it... Hopefully that will spread into them!

I am hoping that the class will like "The Giver;" you are right, it is a powerful book and it is meant for older kids. I am going to have to feel my students out before I pull that out. I don't want to read something to them that they may not understand...

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

Zoe, Avi is tremendous! :) I REALLY love the way he writes his books. Very good modeling for the kids in writer's workshop.

I have First Kids in my classroom library as well... to whomever mentioned it... and it's good to simply let the kids know the author of that book was 13! There's also this gorgeous space book from DK publishing written by a young author, though this is just side info. and has nothing to do with the original thread. :)

Hmm, any more books I can think of for the beginning of the year... I would say start out with a school-related book of sorts because the kids relate to that. I like the recommendations made so far.

16. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

James and the Giant Peach is my favorite--have read to 1st, 3rd, and 6th and all loved. But you have to sing the Old Green Grasshopper parts, and do all the voices!!

17. lemons11

lemons11 Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

I love the BFG for the beginning of the year. If you google search children's comprehension, you will find activities that go with that book as you read.

18. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 19, 2009

Thanks for the great ideas! Keep them coming. I am keeping a list to read during the year!!!!

19. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I always start the school year with "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" and end it with "There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom." Last year I read "Shiloh" aloud to the class, and the kids LOVED it. I read it with the southern slang, and they just couldn't get enough of it. Any of the Andrew Clements books are a fun option, too.

20. wildcat82

wildcat82 Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

I read this book to my fourth grade class when I taught it last 3 years ago and they all applauded when I finished it! It was full of wonderful adventure, excitement, and humor. It's called BY THE GREAT HORN SPOON. I would highly reccomend it. I would read a chapter and even my troublesome kids would say "Please read one more!!" It's now one of my personal favorites!!!

21. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 23, 2009

The Adventures of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi. Listeners become spellbound by this book. Some chapters are quite short if you are pressed for time. It never fails to have children begging for more. The one translated by E. Harden with illustrations by Roberto Innocenti has gorgeous illustrations.

Another good one is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.