Need fun ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Oct 18, 2007.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2007

I teach OCR, and I feel like nothing is fun. It's the same thing every week. I need more fun ideas to do in my classroom. I started doing a mini spelling bee about once a month and they really like it. I also went out and bought a lot of books so I can copy pages and have more variety in what they do. Does anyone have any good books to recommend (with worksheets for them to do)? All the 3rd graders at our school are low in Language skills, so I need to hit language pretty hard. Thanks in advance!

3. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Oct 18, 2007

What is OCR?

4. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Oct 18, 2007

I second this!!!

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2007

Open Court Reading-a scripted curriculum. They tell you exactly what to say.

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Oct 18, 2007

I have the kids make tree maps (from thinking maps) for the sound spelling cards. For example, if during the lesson the word knowledge focus is on the spellings for /aw/, the kids would make a tree map of all the different spellings. At the top of the tree map would be the hawk card. Then the branches would be the different spellings (aw, au, etc.). Underneath the branch, the kids have to go through the story we are reading and find all of the words with that sound-spelling.

7. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Oct 20, 2007

I've used Open Court for years and the one thing I love about it, is that you can easily adapt your own activities.

For example, I don't always like their writing suggestions, so I use my own journal and other writing assignments. I use some of their shared reading and some of my own. We do word-building in a notebook rather than with the cards and make a game of it. We play riddle games with the word lines and sentences that we do in whole group.