Need fun ideas for teaching compound sentences

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Beezus, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Sep 28, 2010

Help! I am looking for some fun ideas for teaching combining sentences. Do you have lessons/strategies that have worked for you in the past?

3. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 28, 2010

I am assuming you are teaching them to use a comma and a connecting word (and, or, but) - we just did this in 3rd grade.

Try allowing them to write a sentence about a given topic (monkeys, perhaps), then have them pair up with a random partner to create silly sentences. My monkey ate a banana, AND her monkey went to the zoo.

Another thing you can do is to use nursery rhymes - Jack fell down, AND he broke his crown.

For 3rd graders, I try to always throw some examples their way that seem like compound sentences but are not....
    We visited DisneyWorld, Epcot, and the Hogwarts Castle. OR You may have peanut butter and jelly or macaroni and cheese for lunch.

4. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Sep 29, 2010

Thanks, I like this idea!
    I'm going to have my kids write their sentences on sentence strips, then partner them up, give each pair an "and" I've printed on cardstock, & then let them combine their two sentences:
    cut & glue together with the "and".
    Thanks!

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 29, 2010

This would also be a cute hallway display with a huge comma in between the two sentence strips...

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 30, 2010

I posted this a short while back about language arts activities in general:

You could play a game where kids pick phrases and match themselves up to form sentences - separate into groups and call out the criteria; "I want a sentence with a compound subject and simple predicate," and have the kids scramble to see how many they can form. Have them do it silently to make it tougher.

Use plastic eggs to contain words or phrases and assign something appropriate - singular/plurals matching, find 3 tenses of the same verb, spelling of irregular verbs, etc.

Even pocket chart activities can be adapted to the upper grades. Take them out and hang them from a magnetic white board when you need them.

Fill 3 baskets with story elements, setting, character, plot. Have kids pick one from each basket and write a paragraph. Have them write the selected terms in an alternate color so you can see what they've included.

7. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 30, 2010

Give a group two magazine pictures and tell them to write a sentence about one, and then write a sentence about the other. The task then is to find a way to combine them using one of conjunctions, and have it make sense. They are allowed to change one of the sentences if they have to.

Then post both photos on a half sheet of chart tablet and have them write the sentence.

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2010

I also modified worksheets before by whiting out either the first or second half and having them create the "second" sentence.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2010

Sounds like FUN!
    Teachers can have all the fun in the world, when they really enjoy what they are doing!:)
    Rebel1