Need first day activity for 7th grade math

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by luvmyboyz, Aug 2, 2007.

1. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz New Member

Aug 2, 2007

I have been teaching for many years. I am trying something new this year for the first day. Typically I go over all the expectations, classroom principles, yada yada ad nauseum. The problem is that these students will see 8 different teachers the first day.

I know from previous years that the students are on info/rule overload the first day. My goal is for them to think that math class will be fun and interesting.

I am extremely structured and have good discipline so I am not worried about not giving my whole schpiel the first day.

Does anyone have a fun and educational activity I could do with the students the first day that you know they would enjoy? I am looking for something creative and math related. TIA

3. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 2, 2007

I play a racing game with the students in my math classes towards the beginning of the year. I split them up in two teams, and we review "math they should already know" in races. I have two boards in my class, and a member of each team goes to the board, uncaps a dry erase marker, and they both say "ready." I then choose basic review questions that the particular class should know from previous math years. They write the question and try to be the first student to complete the problem. If they are completely stumped, they can pass the problem on to a teammate, and then I know what materials we need to go over again as a refresher before we dig in to the new material. It is really fun, and it is a great stress reliever all through the year. We also do this activity during the year after we have completed a particularly difficult unit, or as review before a test.
    hope this helps. ~Sk

4. Leedy

Leedy Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

That's a great idea...
    thanks
    Leedy

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 4, 2007

You are welcome! ~SK

6. teach101

teach101 Companion

Aug 23, 2007

Teacher Kenny- what does the winning team get? If anything?

7. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 23, 2007

Sometimes Extra Credit points, sometimes candy, sometimes a homework pass. It really varies, depending on my mood. I also will let the winnig team take turns for a week with my chair. It is never the same prize twice in a row, and I have played with no prize other than the pride of winning. :)