Need everyone's opinion please!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Blondie0428, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Blondie0428

Blondie0428 Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

Hello Everyone. I need some advice/opinions on a situation. Here is some background out the situation I am in. I went to a job fair and interviewed with a district that was out of state. The interview went very well and the person I interviewed continued to email me and encourage me to call his principal and set up another interview because he knew there were positions open at the school. I contacted the principal who had heard about me from her teacher who interviewed me and immediately set up a phone interview with me. I interviewed the principal and vice principal over the phone. That interview couldn't have gone any better and the principal invited me down to see the school, the area, and meet the teachers. She stressed that she wanted to make sure that this was a good fit for me as well. Unfortunately the principal is very busy with end of the year duties that she can't have me come down until after the school ends and the teachers are gone. My question is....do you think I am being interviewed when I get there? I asked her if she wanted to see my portfolio or letters of recommendation. She said she would like to see my portfolio but that the letters of recommendation were not necessary right now. I don't know how to prepare for this. When she wanted me to come with the teachers there it felt like it was more of a meet and greet. She said I would be there for about an hour. Oh and what do I wear? Do I wear my interview suit? Its a southern state so it will be very hot when I go, so would a shirt and short sleeve button down top be more appropriate? This whole situation has me very confused. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2012

I would treat it as an interview. I wouldn't personally wear a suit, but if you find that to be the norm in your area then you may want to. I think nice "church clothes" would be fine, though.

Good luck! :)

4. Blondie0428

Blondie0428 Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

well a suit would be the norm here in NY but the school I am going to is in Virginia so I am not sure what the norm is there.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 11, 2012

I think when it comes to an interview, it's better to be over-dressed than under-dressed. And it's probably better to assume it's an interview, even if it turns out to be something more casual.
    This is your first time to meet this principal, so it's good to make a great first impression. You never know, the P might have 3-4 other candidates that seem equally suitable for the job as you, so you want to stand out in any way possible.

Good luck, this all sounds great!!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

It IS an interview.

You can always take the suit jacket off if it ends up being outside, and joke about how, as a New Yorker, it never occurred to you NOT to wear the suit. But in an air conditioned office, I would wear the suit. That first impression is of incredible value.

7. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2012

Wear the suit. Make sure to wear a nice top underneath in case you can take the jacket off. Bring everything you would normally bring to an interview.

8. emb382

emb382 Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

I am in VA. I have been to 5 interviews, and the principals never wore a suit. In two of the interviews, the principals were wearing khakis because of the day's events. I agree that you want to make a good first impression, and I think as long as you dont wear jeans, you'll be great :) You've already made it through the hard part!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

I agree, treat it as an interview. Bring everything that you would bring to a formal interview and dress as if going to an interview.

10. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Jun 11, 2012

I just got hired in Virginia and although my interviewers were always dressed pretty casually, I chose to wear a suit. The only time I didn't was when a principal invited me to spend a whole day at her school. I wore dress paints and a nice shirt, and that was more of a meet and greet. In your case since you are unsure, I would probably wear the suit.

11. Blondie0428

Blondie0428 Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

Ok I'll stick with the suit...only problem is that I wear a sleeveless shell under the jacket so I can't take the jacket off. I hate to buy a new shirt since I am already spending quite a bit of money going down there.

Nyteacher85 - which district did u get hired for?

12. nyteacher85

nyteacher85 Companion

Jun 11, 2012

I was hired in Fairfax County.

13. MrsAllison

MrsAllison Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

I just went on a bunch of interviews in Texas where it's been super hot (of course, I grew up in Louisiana so I'm used to it...although you don't really ever get completely used to 93 degree heat!) Anyway, for me a skirt suit was a must in this heat, so if you're female and don't already have a matching skirt then I'd highly recommend it. I also wore a sleeveless top underneath. I kept my jacket off during the drive there and put it on right before I got out of my car and took it off as soon as I got back in. I wouldn't take my jacket off during an interview no matter what I had on, but that's just me. Though if you think you might be going outside when they show you around then I'd go ahead and buy a shirt that will look ok if you do end up having to take your jacket off. Otherwise I think you may just have to suck it up and suffer the heat. :( Trust me I feel for you! There's nothing worse than sweating through an entire interview!

14. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 11, 2012

You should dress to impress since it's your first time meeting the principal.

15. Blondie0428

Blondie0428 Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

Here's an update for everyone....I ended up wearing my suit but it definitely didn't seem needed. It wasn't an interview. The principal said I aced the interview on the phone so she more or less just wanted to meet me. It was so laid back.within five minutes she told me to go get my boyfriend from the car so she could meet him as he would be a part of the family now. We all took a tour of the school then went back to discuss questions I had. She said I would need to get a call from HR as they have to make the actual job offer and that I would hear from the at the beginning of this week if I was going to get it. Then on the way out she said to call her when I hear from HR. everything seemed to look positive,she even made suggestions on where to live, but it is now Tuesday and I haven't heard anything and HR is closed for the holiday tomorrow..I'm very worried now! at what point should I email someone about it and should I email the principal or HR?

16. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Jul 3, 2012

I would suggest that you email the principal on Thursday to let her know that you haven't heard from HR. (I would word this much better than I did.) As difficult as it is to get jobs, you must do the follow through.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

A bit weird your bf was invited in....but my fingers are crossed for you.

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2012

I would call HR on Thursday morning.

19. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2012

I would call HR on Thursday morning. Its possible people are on vaca or someone just dropped the ball. Fingers crossed!!

20. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, I thought that too...especially if HR makes the final decisions and not the P.

21. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2012

Which district is this? Some of the larger districts have very busy HR departments and it can take a month or more.

Last year, I was hired at the end of July and was unable to attend the new teacher orientation sessions givens at the end of August because my paperwork still had not been processed. I got my contract the day before school started. I was told this is normal.

Congrats!

22. Blondie0428

Blondie0428 Rookie

Jul 3, 2012

Yeah I thought it was weird she invited my boyfriend in but after talking to her and some of the staff, she likesu getting the whole family involved and the staff is really close to each other. She is probably assuming my boyfriend and I are very serious since we are moving out of state together, so she is treating him like a teachers husband. The principal decides who she wants for the position then she give HR the go. From what I understand, HR just completes the background check and the paperwork, and they are the ones to do the job offer. My interview was on Thursday, HR was out of the office Thursday and Friday. So they just got there yesterday...so do you think calling Thursday is too soon then? They are off tomorrow too for the fourth.

23. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2012

I would wait until the end of next week to call.

24. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, this holiday in the middle of the week is messing everyone up. Call if you haven't heard by Wednesday of next week.