Need Classroom Management Advice... new

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by AnonyMS, Jan 29, 2011.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Jan 29, 2011

Well, I'm not exactly new... I taught for a dozen years, then took off 10. Now I'm back. At my same school! It could easiyl be described as 'inner-city'. Most of the school (if not all) is on reduced or free meal programs (b'fast and lunch).

I just started - middle school, reading language arts. I have 6 classes a day.

The kids are nearly out-of-control! They will not stop talking. I do start with 5-7 minutes of 'silent reading' each class period. It takes some classes 5 minutes just to get quiet!

One class in particular is really testing me! Any advice appreciated.

Lunch is only 30 minutes long so lunch detention - while one option - is not that easy to do. There are 3 lunch periods and I teach during 2 of them so I don't even have a spot in my room.

I called every parent in the class this past week... giving "good reports" to those who have been good and "poor reports" to those who have not.

Among the obvious transition reasons, the class had been with a long-term sub since the 2nd month of school and with different subs before that. I'm not sure of the whole story. I'm pretty structured and the kids are rebelling. I can't even get them settled down enough to get our lesson in!

3. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jan 29, 2011

I teach second grade in a school that only has one class per grade level. Lets just say, that my class is the one that all the teachers hate or dread having in the future. It's just a tough group. Title I school, almost all boys, several with documented learning disabilities. I even have brothers in my class, and also their cousin. They are all so familiar with each other that it can just be chaos if I'm not on top of it.

I think you need to have some kind of laid out consequences for not following the rules. We've got warning, two minutes off recess, five minutes off, and silent lunch/phone call home. I find that when I have warned the whole class several times, I have to then make an example out of the first kiddo that tries to test me. Usually then the class quiets down and takes me seriously. I also hand out incentives when students transition quickly or are quick to follow instructions...usually then the rest start scrambling to get to where they need to be.

Regarding reading quietly...have you read The Daily 5? They have a great routine for children to start learning how to read to themselves for increasing lengths of time. You really have to teach the behaviors that you want to see and then practice, practice, practice.

4. AnonyMS

Jan 29, 2011

No. I'm 6th grade but middle school. I heard great things about this book and also the Cafe one and they are both on my Wish List over at Paperbackswap.com but I'm high on the waiting list.

Do you think this method would work for middle school?

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2011

I have both books and have incorporated some into my room...but most is for younger grades. It's hard because we only have a set time (I have 90 minutes for everything reading and writing) to teach our subject. Add in transition minutes...and well, it's just not long enough.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2011

For behavior there are a few things that you can try...

You may want to start with something other than silent reading. Maybe read aloud, a writing exercise, journaling...

For behavior, I give out tickets. Students can use these to enter drawings (sit by a friend, problems off homework, bathroom pass, late work pass, candy, etc). Very motivating to get them settled and for the most part cheap or free!

7. AnonyMS

Jan 29, 2011

Yes, eventually I hope to have them do quick-writes in their journals. However, their journals stay in the room and they are not ready to efficiently and without problems go through the procedure of getting them all passed out (I will have a student helper do this) and get started.

So, I was starting with silent reading. All students are supposed to keep 2 library books with them at all times.

I like the ticket idea and would have to tweak it. Just learned that we are not allowed to give out food of any kind, but am amenable to late-work pass, free homework pass, sit by friend.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2011

Can you take a class percentage of students who are sitting and reading. Then track this on your board and offer a reward to the class with the highest average for the week....