Need Chairs!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Peregrin5, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 21, 2016

So, my new classroom is filled with the horrible chair-chained-to-desk style desks that are slightly slanted and made for seating kids individually in rows with very little workspace.

I couldn't take it, so I found some great flat tables that they could work at. The only problem: no chairs. (they were all claimed by someone else)

Any ideas to create or get quick chairs or seating options for high school students that would be cheap and easy to implement?

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2016

IKEA has stacking stools for $5. I have a few that I use when kids are working in groups; it's easier than moving desks around in my crowded room. You shouldn't be responsible for buying seats for your whole class, though. Your admin may take the position that the desks you were given are appropriate.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2016

I would probably just stick with the desks you already have for now.

5. ebeli

ebeli Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

You can ask your district for chairs, talk to the janitors/maintenance, contact other school sites throughout the district?

The school will not want to buy chairs, that is their last resort, so look for donations, reach out to the community and if all fails, bring a strong case to your admins as to WHY you need the new chairs.

Good luck !

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2016

Agreed. This is , for now, a temporary position for you. I definitely wouldn't be putting any money out of your own pocket for chairs and if custodians can't rustle some up for you easily, it might be best to make the best with what you've got.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    teacherL likes this.
  7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 22, 2016

Well the tables I'm getting are free, and admin said they might be able to rustle up enough chairs. Just looking for ideas in case that doesn't pan out. The problem with the desks is that they are unsuitable for science lab work (they are sloped so glassware would slide off and break, and there's not enough room to work) and group collaboration. I would need to relocate to another room to do labs which are essential in a science class, and there is no one lab room I could go to since they are all teachers classrooms. I would have to find teachers' preps, ask them to use their room during their prep, and relocate to another lab room for the next period for another teachers' prep. To save me time and headaches from having to hunt for different empty lab rooms during different teachers' preps and prepare labs in many different rooms, I think my time is better spent making my room adequate for lab work. The previous teacher wanted tables too, but I don't think these were available then.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016