Need Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by mrgrinch09, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jan 3, 2011

Later this year, we are going to do an "Around the World" thematic unit.

What I need is preschool friendly books that take place in a foreign country. Most multicultural children's books tend to be too long winded when it comes to the text, so I think finding the books for this unit will be the hardest part.

Any foreign country will do, but the quality of the book is the most important thing I'm looking for.

Do you know any good books that fit what I'm looking for?

:help:

3. smpeterson77

smpeterson77 Rookie

Jan 3, 2011

Try Barefoot Books. (www.barefootbooks.com) They have alot of multi cultural books for all ages. I teach 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year olds, and I just read them "We all went on Safari" about Africa. They loved it, and it wasn't too much for them.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 3, 2011

Can you look a fairytales that take place around the world. The students will be familiar with the stories and you can really spend the time on the pictures. Cinderella has many that I know of!

5. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 3, 2011

A World of Wonders: Geographic Travels in Verse and Rhyme by Patrick J. Lewis An illustrated collection of amusing poems filled with facts and trivia about explorers and geography. This is from a list of childrens book recommended for Preschool - gr 3 when I took my Childrens Lit. Class.
    For Pre school
    On a camping trip in an Australian rain forest with his father, a young boy thinks about the history of the plant and animal life around him and wonders about their future.
    Where the Forest Meets the Sea by jeannie Baker
    PS-GR2
    This is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World by Edith Baer Describes, in text and illustrations, the many different modes of transportation children all over the world use to get to school
    I have not read these, I just thought they might be interesting.

Linda

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 3, 2011

"In and old house in Paris, that was covered with vines, lived twelve little girls in two straight lines. They left the house at half past nine, and the smallest one was Madeline."

My favorite books ever: The Madeline series, by Ludwig Bemelman.

7. Miller59

Miller59 Companion

Jan 5, 2011

Sometimes when a book is too wordy I go through with a pencil and do some editing. I also paper clip pages together so that I skip them altogether. Or I skip the words altogether and tell the story using the illustrations.

8. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jan 8, 2011

I've checked out the books from Barefootbooks.com and they look great. Luckily, my local libray had most of them in stock.

We're going to avoid fairy tales with this particular theme, only because we're also doing a fairy tales theme later in the semester.

I'm not a fan of the Madeline books, but I will use it as a back up if I can't find any other good book that takes place in France. One of the children in my class has a grandmother that was born in France, and they speak French at home, so I definitely have to find a good book that takes place in France.

Anyone else have suggestions on books?

9. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jan 8, 2011

Africa: We all went on Safari

Egypt: Saling down the Nile

India: Mama Sari's

France: Eloise in Paris and Everybody Bonjours! and Fancy Nancy and the Boy From Paris and E is for Eiffel Tower

Italy: C is for Ciao and Maya's World: Angelina of Italy

Israel: Zvuvi's Israel and Ella's Trip to Israel,

Australia: Why I love Australia

Mexico: P is for Pinata: A Mexico Alphabet and Off We Go to Mexico

Japan: K is for Kabuki: a Japan Alphabet

China: D is for Dancing Dragon: A China Alphabet